free website stats program How do you lift a Fatboy? | Harley Davidson Forums

How do you lift a Fatboy?

Cowchip500

Account Removed
I have to haul my Fatboy in my pickup and I'm planning on using a forklift to hoist it in/out. What can I strap on to? I think the bars should be OK but what can I grab in the rear? The swing-arm? Is there anything I need to beware of?

Try to go around the forks if possible, the bars can bend if strapped too tightly. In the rear, I would first try to grab the frame with a strap. Just don't pull it down and compress the suspension too much, better to put a 4X4 under the frame and pull it down on to that rather than compressing the suspension. A piece of carpet on the 4X4 will save the frame from scuffs.

Invest in a pair of ramps,, walk up one and the bike on the other,, in the greater scheme of things they will pay for themselves. :bigsmiley17:

I have to haul my Fatboy in my pickup and I'm planning on using a forklift to hoist it in/out. What can I strap on to? I think the bars should be OK but what can I grab in the rear? The swing-arm? Is there anything I need to beware of?

How far is the trip??

The problem is, I have to deliver a show truck to Vancouver. There's no time to get ramps (as low as it is, I don't think it would clear) & I can't do a one-way w/ a Uhaul. I'm thinking about finding a loading dock but that might be tricky in Canada (I'm not sure I'll be able to find one).

Has anyone ever lifted their bike by the bars if you keep the straps by the riser?

Straps around the forks and rear frame, one fork for each,(spread forks as much as possible) lift the bike and reverse the truck underneath it.

I found a butterfly lift at a local shop & I'll use a loading dock in Canada.

Thanx for the help, everyone.

That would do the trick.

If it doesn't work though you could but three 2x4 or a couple of 4x4's under the frame and lift the Bike from behind with the fork lift. strap the bike down to the middle board for stability. It would be like a giant frame jack. Not very stable but better than lifting it with the bars. The balance point of the bike should still be on the forks if they are full length forks.

Back