How do you know when brakes are worn?

Discussion in 'Softail Models' started by tucks, Aug 8, 2010.

1. tucks

tucks Member

I have a 92 fat boy only had it a couple years but can seem to see if my brakes are worn front and back is there a way i can see them?

2. fin_676

fin_676 Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

As part of regular maintenance of my bikes i remove the brake pads and clean any dirt and debris from the calliper a light coat of copper grease on the sliding parts (pins at the front and the guides at the rear) and a coat of copper grease on the backing plates of the pads to stop squeal
    this is done at least once a year
    As all my bikes have the same brakes i keep a set of spare pads for front and rear in my shed just for when they are needed

Brian

3. Breeze3at

Breeze3at Well-Known Member

It may involve a little contorsion, but with a small mirror and flashlight you will be able to see the pad against the rotor. With Smitty's info, you can pretty much "guesstimate" how much pad is left.

4. Jonas

Jonas Junior Member

If they are thinner than a nickle you need to replace them.

5. orourcs

orourcs Member

Other than the HD dealer, is there a good place to buy brake pads?

6. glider

glider Veteran Member

There's a few good sources for aftermarket brakes but the Lyndall people are good to deal with and have a great product.
    Their "Z" pads are low dusting and work well too plus they will talk to you on the phone and answer any questions you may have.
    Lyndall Racing Brakes - The worlds best Brake Pads Composite Rotors --- Home ---

7. tucks

tucks Member

i can see the front ones now but i still cant see the back pads?

8. NEWHD74FAN

NEWHD74FAN Experienced Member Retired Moderators

Most disc pads have two methods to determine brake pad wear...

1) The backing plate where the brake pad is bonded to has a raised area off the base, or a clip that will drag against the rotor and cause the characteristic "squeal" we all know and love :(

2) The friction pad has a radial groove that runs to visible edge to 1/32" or so. Check for the groove in the center, if visible edge on both inner/outer pads, they are good. Use inspection mirror :22:

Last edited: Aug 8, 2010
  9. Retrop

Retrop Active Member

I went to the dealer last evening and bought a set of brake pads for both front rotors on a late model touring bike. I gave them a $100.00 and they gave me .12 back. Don't really know what aftermarket would cost as I never priced them. With ABS on my bike, I didn't want to try another brand and take a chance. Outside of being dusty, the Harley brake pads have been good. That said, I find that cleaning the dust off the wheels at least once a week will keep them from being pitted. That brake dust is evil stuff.

10. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

I find most times when its time for new tires its time for brakes JMO