free website stats program How do you keep your cages clean in cold country? | Harley Davidson Forums

How do you keep your cages clean in cold country?

Spade5

This is a curiosity question. I have lived in SE Texas my entire life and while I have traveled to Minnesota and Canada in January-February I know squat about actually living in the colder climates.

Forgive me if it is a dumb question, but how do you keep your cars and trucks clean in the winter? I assume you use some sort of car wash and was also wondering if it washed underneath. I can remember back in the 60's when someone relocated to the south and the cars were almost rotted out.

I was in Edmonton once and was leaving to go back to the hotel at the end of the day and the car was covered in snow. Believe it or not I did figure out what the brush/broom thing in the back seat of the rental car was for. Unfortunately I only cleared the windows and made it about three blocks before the snow on the hood flew to the windshield. I am sure the locals got a laugh out of that.

Car washes are big business in the cold and snowy states, seems to be 1 every other block.
Underbody spray washing has helped with removing the salt but eventually it's gonna get ya!

Former resident of Minnesota.:(

Back in my days in Minnesota I've seen it so cold car washes will close.
Doors, door locks and windows would freeze closed in a matter of minutes.

Weather can be volatile here we can have snow any time from October to May temperature can be anywhere from -13 to +10 centigrade but often goes below 0 at night and above 0 during the day so fresh salt is spread on the roads every night
so mornings are scraping ice from the car windows and being careful on the steep road into town as it never gets treated
I wash my car every weekend with a carwash formula that includes wax so that there is a wee film of wax between the salt and the paint my car is black but usually light grey after a week's use I do hose down the running gear and radiators with fairly high pressure water to clean salt out of these areas
April and October I strip and clean the brake calipers and coat all the moving parts with copper grease to help prevent salt corrosion and change the wheels on the car as I have a spare set of wheels with winter tyres fitted
Snow chains a snow shovel are always in the trunk and a long handled soft broom to clear snow from the car

Brian

Weather can be volatile here we can have snow any time from October to May temperature can be anywhere from -13 to +10 centigrade but often goes below 0 at night and above 0 during the day so fresh salt is spread on the roads every night
so mornings are scraping ice from the car windows and being careful on the steep road into town as it never gets treated
I wash my car every weekend with a carwash formula that includes wax so that there is a wee film of wax between the salt and the paint my car is black but usually light grey after a week's use I do hose down the running gear and radiators with fairly high pressure water to clean salt out of these areas
April and October I strip and clean the brake calipers and coat all the moving parts with copper grease to help prevent salt corrosion and change the wheels on the car as I have a spare set of wheels with winter tyres fitted
Snow chains a snow shovel are always in the trunk and a long handled soft broom to clear snow from the car

Brian

Aye! That makes me tired just thinking about it....

You don't worry about it. Put the nice car away for the winter and drive a beater until they stop salting the roads.

Enjoy,
Rich P

Aye! That makes me tired just thinking about it....
I had to reduce my work hours last year so that I could fit all the car maintenance into my schedule as now I am a wee bit older I am a wee bit slower and need a wee rest between every main task :p

Brian

Back