free website stats program How do you clean Harley Aluminum Wheels? | Harley Davidson Forums

How do you clean Harley Aluminum Wheels?

Joe2007ultra

Hi Guys

My 2010 Ultra aluminum wheels are getting spotted and looks like some pitting is starting. Was just wondering what some of you have found to be a good cleaner ??

Thanks

Talking Amazing bare aluminum wheel cleaner!
I just discovered a product that removes water spots and the black spots from the polished aluminum wheels on my Fat Bob! I've tried all the Simichrome and Mothers type cleaners and, yes, they do work to a degree but it takes a LOT of elbow grease. It's a powdered cleanser called "Bar Keepers Friend". It comes in a "Comet" like container. I also used a "Scotch Brite No Scratch Scrub Sponge". They are the blue ones. I soak the sponge in a bucket of water, apply some Bar Keepers Friend powder to the scotch brite side of the sponge and polish the black spots and water stains off with relatively no effort or pressure at all! I rinsed the sponge out real well and wiped off the residue. I then used a clean towel to dry the wheel off. I can now clean up my wheels faster than I can wash the rest of the bike!! I don't know why I didn't think of it before, I discovered this stuff 20 years ago for a substitute for the pricey stuff they recommend for cleaning smooth top stoves. Doesn't scratch in the least, works better, and a $2.00 container lasts a VERY long time! This just made my day for $2.00!! This is originally ScreweyLoiues Tip, he did not have enough posts as of yet to enter this So I did it for him as We both think it is a worthy tip

Try this if the wheels are not coated. Several threads posted on how well this works!

mine on the '10 went south quickly. i hate these 28 spoke wheels. impossible to check air pressure and a real bear to clean. i use mothers and the foam ball with a 1/2 inch vsr drill. when they are real bad, i use a piece of ceramic wool (cerwool strip) that i pick up at work. works better than never-dull but they lose the bright shine. did i say i hate these 28 spoke wheels. buddy has chrome on his limited and they replaced both under warranty for peeling chrome. not good nor is the design. should have the designer clean about 600 or so before production. just horrible.

I use Simple Green Aircraft and Precision Cleaner and polish with Cycle Care Formula "M". Works for me. Does a great job and completely safe on aluminum.

Back