free website stats program How do I read an historic code | Harley Davidson Forums

How do I read an historic code

ultraclas03

Hi all.

I have an ultra 03 that continually throws a check engine light. It goes off after about 6 seconds. I have tried to read it out using the short across data pins 1 and 2 after a ride but to no avail. I assume this method only works when a problem is current, that is the situation does not "go away". My problem would seem to be an intermittent one that simply leaves a code. Apart from going to the dealer, is there another way to check the problem?

Cheers

If the light stays lit, that's a current code, if it goes out after the engine is running in about 4 seconds, then it's a historic code and will clear itself after 50 start run cycles of 30 seconds each.

It shows up when I when I first turn the ignition on, light on, then off then on again for about 8 seconds. BUT when I'm riding it constantly sets a new/or the same code. If I do a trip of say 200Kms, it will store a code maybe 5 times. The engine lamp comes on for about 8 seconds while I'm riding so it's telling me its not happy, but that the problem is not constant, else I assume the light would stay on. So I need to know what the problem is, even though I the bike seems fine.

Cheers

Hi Glider

Yes tried your instructions yesterday but no code was shown. Hence I think this method only shows current continual problems, not historic.

Regards

A steady light would be a current code where as the light that goes out after a few seconds is historic.

Back