free website stats program How do I make V&H Big Shots Quieter? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

How do I make V&H Big Shots Quieter?

If you tried baffles the only other thing to try is a different exhaust. I have V&H straight shots without baffles and the guys I ride with gave me $60 to buy baffles (which I spent on beer and women).

Maybe you can find someone to trade out for a stock set, the first thing everyone does is run out and change their exhaust.

I've looked around and havn't found any Softails with the Big Shots on them. Do you think the long ones would be any quieter than the staggard ones?

I got the long shots and I can't imagine them being any louder. I do love to fire them up, momentarily, in the garage with the door shut. Great sound.
However, I wish they were a little quieter on the road. If I leave a stop sign or redlight with police close, I really baby that throttle. Approaching another car from behind, I like that noise cause I can tell they hear me coming.
I wear ear plugs on any kind of extended ride, otherwise I'm temporarily deaf when I reach my destination and I'm sure there is damage done.

I got the long shots and I can't imagine them being any louder. I do love to fire them up, momentarily, in the garage with the door shut. Great sound.
However, I wish they were a little quieter on the road. If I leave a stop sign or redlight with police close, I really baby that throttle. Approaching another car from behind, I like that noise cause I can tell they hear me coming.
I wear ear plugs on any kind of extended ride, otherwise I'm temporarily deaf when I reach my destination and I'm sure there is damage done.

Thanks, I may have to just go to something different. I'm already hard of hearing from all the shooting i've done I don't need to make it worse.

I read an article in American Rider magazine that tells how to make pipes quieter. You remove the baffles and wrap them with 10oz fiberglass cloth. Here is the link to the article V-Tech Q&A (June 2009) I hope this helps.

Will the fiberglass wrap work well in a V&H Big Radius 2 into 2 setup?? Am thinking about being a bit quieter but love the look so don't really want to replace them.

On a run they give you a headache without earplugs - the underlying sound is great and they look good but they just need to be quieter by another 7 to 8 decibels

Is there any room between the baffles and the outside cannister, you might want to try fiberglass sheeting that is used to muffle dirt bikes...trim to fit and should help that little bit and not affect backpressure too much. May have to put in a new sheet in about 3-5 years, but it is a pretty inexpensive solution. May want to also measure the baffle and see if aftermarket has longer but smaller holes to quiet the noise a bit as well but they start about $15/pr on up...:s

Are you sure they're big shots? I've got the big shots on my Train and love em...low base rumble and never had fellow riders complain. I've heard short shots can be loud.
WAP.gif

Back