free website stats program How do I know what size handlebars to get? | Harley Davidson Forums

How do I know what size handlebars to get?

tom234

I need to change to a different handlebar, I get sore in between my shoulders after riding for 90 minutes. I think my current bar is slightly out of reach by an inch or two. I have stock bars on my 2009 Electra Glide Classic.

My question is what should I look for to improve this situations. A longer rise? A longer pullback? Or a combination of both? My local HD dealer just tells me they sell handlebars (Duh!) Also I replaced my stock seat with a Mustang seat, so I do not what to change the seat again.

Specs on the stock bar as far as I can tell are:
Tip2tip: 30.25"
Base:15.75"
Pullback: 6.25"
Rise: 9.75"
[HD Part# 55924-97}

I could use some advice.
Thanks
Tom

Check out klockwerks.com they make a set of bars called, ergo back bars that you should check out.Think these are something that would fit you nice.

Ask your service manager if you could sit on a few bikes in the garage with different bars already installed. Go from buckhorn, to beach, to apes and heritage classic, etc... Feel what is best to you.

Nothin' will tell you what will be the most comfy unless you ride with them for a bit. But you can get a pretty good idea by stabalizing your bike straight up and sitting on it in your favorite riding position. Close your eyes and move your arms around until you feel real good. Now holler for someone to hurry up and come into the garage and measure your hand position in relation to your bars. Add/subtract the rise, width and pullback from your current bars and get your HD acc. book out and start looking for the bar you want. Or maybe a backrest will help.

Thank you all for the advice. I went back to the dealer and found a parts guy that had some helpful ideas, much of what you all gave me.
Thanks
Tom

Realizing this is late, but I just joined this forum and saw your post. I just had the 2" pullbacks put my 09 Streetglide...I had the same issue with pain between my shoulder blades on any distant ride. The pullbacks make this ride now estremely comfortable. It gets a little expensive with all new cables and throttle setup, but its worth every dime.

Back