free website stats program How do i get that rich sound | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

How do i get that rich sound

Tim, The sound and work to modify stock mufflers is just not worth it, Better off to add some new slip ons and keep the stock ones for EPA problems down the road:s

I second that.

Removing the baffles are different from pipe tp pipe. Some pipes have removable baffle, all you have to do is take the screw out that holds them in. Other pipes you have to do a little more work.

$2,000!!!!!!!:bigsmiley30: Brother, RUN don't walk away from that! Like many have already said here, there are far cheaper, and probably, higher quality products out there than the "stealership" is trying to rook you into. Find a bike that is the same model, and has that sound that moves your soul. Ask the owner. He/she will probably talk your ear off telling you about what made their baby sound the way it does.

You made the right move asking before spending here. These folks know more about HD's than 99% of the dealers, and probably 90% of the dealership mechanics. They also have nothing to gain, monetarily, by giving you an honest answer. Good luck with your quest and welcome to the family!:D

I have an 09 FXDC. If you are not concerned about increase in performance and are looking for a way that is fairly cheap slip-ons could be an alternative to use in your case. I bought vance and hines straight shots and have had zero problems. I installed them myself (very simple installation) and the fuel injection will adjust. Sound is really great and look is even better. I would suggest to go find some examples of exhausts and just observe. Once you have narrowed your possibilities down then make a move. I looked for a couple of months and what work best for me was vance and hines. You will find a set that your like the look and sound. Good luck with your decision but by no means would I spend 2K for an exhaust system. I would like to see what you are getting for that amount of money?

just fyi- New in the box Rush 3 1/2" slip ons with 2" baffles $263.00 plus free shipping...ebay, Vance and Hines and Bubs were similarly priced although the Bub 7s seem to be on a long back order. It took me literally about an hour and 15 min to take my stock mufflers off and put new ones on...which will generate a question in another post as I am having a little blowback from the bottom pipe where it seats onto the exhaust. I am thinking a new clamp will resolve this...anyhow, the work is easy, a 9/6" and 3/8" socket and a bit of patient elbow greeae and it is done.

also, go to youtube and type in the different exhausts you are considering, lots (thousands) of good sound bites of the various mufflers and systems out there.

Last edited:
As others have mentioned, check out other bikes and see if the sound you are after is there. A lot of folks like slip-ons, average cost $300, others will go with an entire exhaust system average cost $700 -900. A total system will require a new download and usually dyno tuning, more $.

2K does sound like alot, but probably includes everthing for an entire new system. Good luck!

As others have mentioned, check out other bikes and see if the sound you are after is there. A lot of folks like slip-ons, average cost $300, others will go with an entire exhaust system average cost $700 -900. A total system will require a new download and usually dyno tuning, more $.

2K does sound like alot, but probably includes everthing for an entire new system. Good luck!

This is not entirely correct! I am not sure about the newer bikes that have the catalytic head pipes but on the bikes that do not have the catalytic head pipes you can upgrade to a entirely new exhaust system and as long as you JUST do the exhaust and noting else the ECM will adjust and the bike will run just fine.

Wow thanks for everyones input - i really appreciate it - i prefer being robbed the old fasioned way - buy gun point - the dealership should at least wear a mask- free bottle of lubewith every new bike something . I will be out of warranty this sept . and i cant wait ! I look forward to learning how to do this stuff on my own - cosmetic stuff at least , i cant see me ever working on the engine but who knows - - i'm going in for my 5000 mile next friday $550 from my dealer - whats that for , oil and fluids change/check check my tires lol make sure the bots are tight ? what do they do for 550?

thanks for tolerating me LOL

Best regards

Tommy

Wow thanks for everyones input - i really appreciate it - i prefer being robbed the old fasioned way - buy gun point - the dealership should at least wear a mask- free bottle of lubewith every new bike something . I will be out of warranty this sept . and i cant wait ! I look forward to learning how to do this stuff on my own - cosmetic stuff at least , i cant see me ever working on the engine but who knows - - i'm going in for my 5000 mile next friday $550 from my dealer - whats that for , oil and fluids change/check check my tires lol make sure the bots are tight ? what do they do for 550?

thanks for tolerating me LOL

Best regards

Tommy

Why not do the 5K yourself and save the money? Keep your receipts:s The dealers over charge for these services IMO and for the most part rush through them, I have seen this before, check out your local dealer some day and see how short of a time the tech spends on a 5K service then decide if it is worth it JMO

only way to keep the warranty intact - this will ( hopefully be my last one ) that i will have to take it to the dealer for .
thh

This is 1 of the BIG HD lies, as long as u keep all your receipts u will be fine:s

Back