free website stats program How discolored are your header pipes? | Harley Davidson Forums

How discolored are your header pipes?

Grillfish

I've have a 09 RG with stock pipes and intake. I put on a TFI last week, used the settings in the directions for a stock bike. It seems it's running great.

Now, I'm not sure if I had major discoloring on the header pipes (all along the header pipes) before the TFI or it happened recently w/in the past week. The heat shields cover all of the discoloration, but curious of others experiences. I have 2,000 miles on the bike.

Thanks.

Ride safe and have fun.
Todd

The bluing happens real fast from when the bike goes into service. They discolor clear past the bend in the pipe below the cam cover.

Thanks, Glider! They are discolored exactly as you describe it, down to the split going under the frame. I now can sleep better as I was parinoid I messed up the TFI install and made it run leaner (my first EFI bike so was nervous).

Have a great day.
Todd

Now, I'm not sure if I had major discoloring on the header pipes (all along the header pipes) before the TFI or it happened recently w/in the past week. The heat shields cover all of the discoloration, but curious of others experiences. I have 2,000 miles on the bike.

Todd,

Here are the shots of mine (front pipe). Have 73+kmiles on the bike.

TQ

Attachments

• P3070210.jpg
    P3070210.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 75
  • P3070211.jpg
    P3070211.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 59
  • P3070212.jpg
    P3070212.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 67
Thanks everyone! I got the blue gold purple to the 2-1-2 as well. I'll ride and sleep peacefully (not at the same time of course).

Todd

Todd,

Here are the shots of mine (front pipe). Have 73+kmiles on the bike.

TQ

TQ - in the 3rd pix, is that white stuff snow...?!!! :small3d031:

BTW, both of my header pipes have a lot of "blueing", but the heat shields cover them up except the very rear portion where the stainless worm gear clamps them nearest the engine. Harley should have used the trick of double wall construction like the UJM (Universal Japanese Machines) so the chrome outside is insulated by air and stays pristine, isolated from the hot inner pipe taking the exhaust heat directly, had two Yamahas and chrome stayed shiny. On my Katana, Suzuki did not even bother, stockers just had high temp black paint which burns off and rusts. :newsmile107:

Last edited:
yep dont to about the nose cone on came cover on my 08 and down the h pipe .. now that is is gone not sure on rear pipe

The bluing happens real fast from when the bike goes into service. They discolor clear past the bend in the pipe below the cam cover.

Uh-Oh Glider... "--they all do that..." ??!! Hope the dealers don't see this post...:small3d031:

Back