free website stats program How Could Harley Improve? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

How Could Harley Improve?

I would love to see "Made in America" become a battle cry from Harley Davidson, but I don't think that it is possible without pretty much doubling the price. If there was a way to do it and only have the total price rise 10-15%, I think HD could hang on. Above that price, I think the numbers would not work.

This has a ring of truth to it however, when did the prices of Harleys decline when the parts were made offshore? Cheaper manufacturing standards and increasing prices to the consumer.:naughty

For years prices have been going upwards and parts are being made offshore so the profit margin has been increasing for sales of the bikes. Nice way to treat the valued customer base IMO.:s

Sometimes "Harley Quality" is a contradiction in terms... They still sell us "kits" based on some of their "accessories"... ie: they still have those rinky dink aluminum finish hinges on the King tour pack. They sell the nice chrome ones that match the quality, fit and finish of the latches... Why aren't those chrome hinges standard instead of optional? This is just one small example of where they nickle and dime us and I find it frustrating. BMW doesn't do that... I am certain that most of you can come up with dozens of other "pet peeves" about our favorite motorcycles.
(I even noticed on the FLHTCUISE on the dealer floor the other day that even that totally high end "custom" ride has those cheap hinges on the tour pack.)
Just my 2 cents... :eek:)

Why aren't those chrome hinges standard instead of optional? This is just one small example of where they nickle and dime us and I find it frustrating.

It's planned by the bean counters that you will buy the bike with the cheap hinges and then return to buy the better quality hinges when the cheap ones break. If they put the better hinges on the bike from the factory, they wouldn't sell replacement hinges then.:D

This has a ring of truth to it however, when did the prices of Harleys decline when the parts were made offshore? Cheaper manufacturing standards and increasing prices to the consumer.:naughty

For years prices have been going upwards and parts are being made offshore so the profit margin has been increasing for sales of the bikes. Nice way to treat the valued customer base IMO.:s

I think initially greed got us into this mess, but now it is very complex and not so simple to fix.

Here is a way to create jobs and make HD more American:
How about offering a huge, defined tax incentive to ANY American company that moves real, raw manufacturing work BACK to the U.S.? Say 0% fed taxes for 5 years and a known rate (10%) after the 5 year period and a penalty for moving the company out (all back taxes) of the country is you try it within 10 years?

I want Harley to be "all American". I definitely think some of it is greed, but i also think there are those at HD who value their customer base, but now it is just a mess. I want and American made DVD player, but I am also not willing to pay $700 for one. If HD made the move to become a totally American entity to provide jobs for Americans as well as top quality, I would support them if I could.

Nobody brought up a custom order Harley yet. Choose your color from any color paint that's made, your seat and accessories and then mortgage your house to pay for it.:D

Nobody brought up a custom order Harley yet. Choose your color from any color paint that's made, your seat and accessories and then mortgage your house to pay for it.:D

Reinstate the buy an 883 trade up and get full price towards a Big Twin:s

Maybe I'm just paranoid but one of my biggest concerns about the newer bikes is the crank runout issue. I dont understand why Harley doesnt build a stronger crank. I currently have a TC88 but would eventually like to step up to a new bike. I'm just hoping they decide to fix the issue before I spend that much money on a new ride.

Does the new 103 have the same crank issues as the 96?

I read or heard somewhere that HD is totally missing out getting the next generation on a Harley because they don't build one for youngsters. I'm talking about a dirt bike, or very low priced entry HD road bike. Kids are riding Honda, Yamaha, etc. from the time they are old enough to walk. It is only logical that after owning Honda for years, they will gravitate towards them when they are old enough to purchase a big road machine. Heck, I was almost 40 before I bought one and I have been riding since I was 12! Just my 2 pennies...

Harley abandoned the dirt bike market long ago as well as a scooter and snow mobile too.

I guess there was no profit in it for them being nobody bought any chrome:D

1964-harley-davidson-scooter1.jpg

Back