free website stats program How Cold can I go | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

How Cold can I go

Gotta go with what an earlier poster said. You can layer, get a one piece winter suit, chaps, heated gear, etc., etc. However, all that does is keep YOU warm and safe. When the temperature drops enough that there could be ice on the roads, it's time to trade two wheels for four.

Out on the road at 40 as long as it's clear and not wet. Man this sounds like a contest of "how low can you go" and then we can all go back to Gary's for more beer!!! Ha,

Get some lined gloves I like the ones Gier makes. Other than that you can probably do some reasonable layer up and keep warm. Remember keep the core warm and the rest gets eaiser. You can feel where the cold is getting in so use a scarf, or neck gator to keep the neck covered. Close the wings on the fairing. If something is cold put another layer on it. Multiple thinner layers are better than one thick one.

I had the grip warmers installed - love them - went for a ride in 35 degree weather and the only thing cold was my knees...the lowers helped as well...

Here in Michigan it was 12 degrees this morning. I rode after Thanksgiving dinner this year. It was 40. That's about my limit. I love to see the look on the face of the driver in the cage next to me at the light when I look over at him and got frozen snot on my mustache.

Hello Gang

Cold Front in Houston TX

Today riding into work at 5:45A.M. 27 degrees had nor problem except some areas had ice on the road but I managed ok Growing up in Buffalo/Williamsville NY it gave me some pleasant Flashbacks

Ride Safe
buffaloBILL

I live in South Central PA, and ride all winter.
If it's below freezing, generally I don't ride, if it's snowing or might freeze wet roads, I don't ride. I've come home from a ride when it was 25 degrees F; I don't LEAVE on a ride if it's that low.
Winter riding: Insulated boots, Under Armor under-wear and gloves; jeans, chaps, sweatshirt, leather jacket, balaclava, hats, and sometimes even a helmet!
Summer Riding: Tank top or T, jeans, boots.
I'm trying to make myself wear a helmet, I know the risks, but it's hard to get back in the habit.

Why is it bad habits are so easy to find, and so hard to lose?

Bone

If there are any notherners or canadians out there I would love to hear some " stay warm suggestions"

Use the car.

If you must ride in the Great White North:

Don't ride in snow or ice unless you have a sidecar.

Your main enemy is the wind. Stop the wind from blowing on you/through your clothes, and you'll stay much, much, warmer.

Outer shell of clothing must be windproof, leather, stiff plastic, whatever. Good cycle rain suits double well as windbreakers.

If you are not allergic to wool, it'll keep you very warm (if you put a windbreaker layer over it.)

Full fairing/windshields that stop wind from blowing on hands is great asset. Back in the day they made "hippo hands" which were very large leather balloons around the bar controls your hand fit in - again kept wind off your hands.

I used to ride in the rain, snow, whatever when young (lived in Vermont). Got tired of it REAL quick...now I give it up when it gets below 40 F. Today I'd do it if was a very short trip in very light traffic.

I have many fond memories of it pouring down snow so hard I could barely see, kept wiping off face shield, trying not to slide out...and cager was tailgating me!! Would get off road, let them pass, get back on...immediately another cager was tailgating me!!

If you hit a patch of black ice at 65 mph on the hiway while surrounded by cagers (if you live) it'll be an experience I guarantee you'll never forget!!

For what it's worth...Moe.

Interesting fact: Vermonters have 137 different words for snow...most of them obscene.

:newsmile078::small3d014:

Invest in a set of heated Grips, there are some real good ones out there, Kurakyn does some ISO ones. Remember your bush craft...keep the extremities warm, hands, head and feet and the rest can survive a great deal more cold. I used to do a lot of days/nights in the bush hunting in the middle of winter.....guess you have to go without the fire though.....LOL

Invest in a set of heated Grips, there are some real good ones out there, Kurakyn does some ISO ones. Remember your bush craft...keep the extremities warm, hands, head and feet and the rest can survive a great deal more cold. I used to do a lot of days/nights in the bush hunting in the middle of winter.....guess you have to go without the fire though.....LOL

Even better than the heated grips (which usually take a dump after a year or so) is the heated gloves. It keeps the back part of your hand warm where the cold air hits.

Heated Gear - Harley Davidson Community

Back