free website stats program How can I tell a Harley cam from Andrews | Harley Davidson Forums

How can I tell a Harley cam from Andrews

buddyrm

I bought what I believed was a TW21 cam from a Ebay seller who swears its a new TW21 cam. It looks like a stock cam that was pulled from a stock TC88. Now I have never seen a stock cam because I have not opened my cam chest yet, how can I tell what cams I have? Identification marks etc...... Can anyone shed some light on how to identify a Harley stock cam from an andrews? Is there any distinctive markings? Any help would be appreciated?

Attachments

• DSC07715.jpg
    DSC07715.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 109
  • DSC07716.jpg
    DSC07716.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 100
  • DSC07717.jpg
    DSC07717.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 110
  • DSC07718.jpg
    DSC07718.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 109
  • DSC07720.jpg
    DSC07720.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 104
I am guessing the lift should at least be greater. (?) Do you know what the lift of the cam should be? If you do, you could easily mount the cam in a set of V blocks and measure the lift.

Andrews would be able to identy their cams, as HD would be able to identify theirs...may want to find out location of the makers' marks and hopefully they will be visible without pulling a lot of stuff, IF you don't have it all lying on the bench as pictured.

BTW, part of the deal is most manufacturers have to have manufacturing marks, otherwise their patented designs would be stolen "literally" and no legal discourse. Intel did that with a batch of microprocessors...next thing you know major aftermarket makers came out legally with their copies of those mysterious unlabeled marvels of modern eh "cloned" technology. Needless to say Intel lost the law suit filings and the microprocessor was born....!

Last edited:
The best way to know what was sent to you would be with the manufacturing marks like NewHD said earlier. That would be Proof positive.

But I did learn the TW21 Andrews cam (part# 288121) does have a lift of .498 & .498

The stock Harley Cam has a lift of .473

If all else fails, that would be easy to measure. At least you would know if what was sold to you is other than stock.

On my Andrews EV 27 cam - it was printed on one of the ends (I think it was on the inner end). Something like 'Andrew EV 27' or maybe the Andrew's was abreviated.

CatWoman

It might be reflections or something else, but in the first two pictures, the bearing surface looks pretty well beat up.

I hate to say it but those cams have the same marks as the stock cams that I just pulled out of my TC 88. The casting number is different but the marks on the ends are identical. Those cams are definitely used, not new. I hope the seller will make it right with you. I bought a used backrest last year that was damaged and the seller made it right. Hopefully yours will too.
Good Luck

Back