free website stats program How are bikes stolen? | Harley Davidson Forums

How are bikes stolen?

madison

hi all,

During the recent Bikes, Blues, and BBQ at Fayetteville, Arkansas (over 300,000 people), there were a couple of instances where a bike was stolen. One was the owner's own fault - he left his keys in the bike while he ran into a coffee shop for a couple of minutes. Somebody saw him do it, hopped on his bike, and drove off.

I haven't heard about how the other one was stolen, but a woman had her bike stolen from her place of work's parking lot.

This one had an interesting recovery story, though. One of the Sporty owners at my office was sitting on his parked bike where a lot of the activity was taking place and was about to drive off when some guy came around the corner of the intersection. Two big guys came rushing out of the crowd toward the bike. One guy jerked the rider off the bike while the other guy grabbed the bike. Turns out the bike was the one stolen from the wife of the guy who grabbed the rider.

Police swarmed all of them, and some other guy joined the group saying he was a friend of the rider and saw the whole thing. By the time everything was explained (coupled with a filed police report and bags that were still full of the woman's gear), the rider and his friend were hauled off in the paddy wagon.

I got to wondering. What are some of the most common ways (other that the case of stupidity and leaving the keys in the bike - where's my sign?) that a bike the size of a Sportster or larger get swiped?

Madison

Well, at a rally, lots of times it's because people don't lock them . . .and with thousands of bikes, who notices someone jump on one, fire it up, and ride off? Walk down a row of bikes at a high end hotel, or in a big parking garage, or even down a row on a main drag and at least 85% are unlocked . . .where are the owners? Getting loaded, laid, or passed out . . .and that's what happens . . .

Trucker
Ride Safe

Years ago there was a well organized theft ring stealing bikes here in Indiana and shipping them to the European and Asian market. They simply quickly lifted the bike into a van and drove off (fleet of vans!). Many bikes were stolen...and it wasn't safe to leave a bike in a parking lot...even with attendant...and bike locked...made no difference. They were slick. Many friends brandnew bikes weren't there after work(it became ridiculous)..or if they weren't sitting looking out the window at it. Everyone was paranoid..very scary. Finally the theives were infiltrated(after a couple yrs of evading all extra police patrols) prosecuted and broken up never to return. If memory serves me they were a MC Club out of Dayton,Ohio(About 120 miles from here. Hundreds of bikes were stolen in this area alone. Unfotunately,doesn't take much to steal one. Several guys to lift it, then,"where'd it go???".

Nesta

G'day Crew

Similar to previous quote, a skate board under each wheel was the way bikes were manouvered to the vans. Rendering a disc lock totally useless!!

What a pack of low lives....:mad:

I have been investigating ways of securing my new FXDC and have come to the realisation, that even with the new immobilisor, anything I do will just be a deterrant at worst and a 'speedbump' at best - slowing down any scumbag thinking of flogging my precious!

Snake

Years ago there was a well organized theft ring stealing bikes here in Indiana and shipping them to the European and Asian market. They simply quickly lifted the bike into a van and drove off (fleet of vans!). Many bikes were stolen...and it wasn't safe to leave a bike in a parking lot...even with attendant...and bike locked...made no difference. They were slick. Many friends brandnew bikes weren't there after work(it became ridiculous)..or if they weren't sitting looking out the window at it. Everyone was paranoid..very scary. Finally the theives were infiltrated(after a couple yrs of evading all extra police patrols) prosecuted and broken up never to return. If memory serves me they were a MC Club out of Dayton,Ohio(About 120 miles from here. Hundreds of bikes were stolen in this area alone. Unfotunately,doesn't take much to steal one. Several guys to lift it, then,"where'd it go???".

Nesta

In my opinon, one of the best defenses you can do to protect your bike is have your dealer install the Lojack Recovery System.

I had this installed when I purchased my new bike. Why? Well during my visits there no less than 5 people told me of a story that happened right there at the Dealership. A couple came in to the shop. He locked his bike, she didn't. My salesman happened to be in the parking lot helping a new owner load his bike into his truck when he heard a rider gearing up the on-ramp onto the Interstate that goes by the dealership. He recalled saying to the person he was helping that "that guy needs to learn how to ride" as they were missing shifts terribly.

Turns out when the husband came out of the shop he asked "where is xx's bike"? The rider on the ramp had stolen her bike Right Out of the Parking Lot!!!! Well she had the lojack system on her bike. They called the number in and within 15 mins the local police had a lock on the bike. They caught the two guys with it in their garrage.

45 Mins after realising the bike was stolen, it was back at the Dealership being washed to give back to her.

The Lojack System is located on each bike where Lojack tells the dealership to install it. It is different on each bike, making finding it very difficult for a thief. A one time price of around $750.00 buys it, installs it, and its covered for life.

A small price for peice of mind.

FM

SIDE NOTE: the husband did not have Lojack on his bike. Before they left that day, he did.

Howdy all

Datadotdna is another way of protecting vehicles, and I'm sure it helps when insurance premium time comes around. If anyone's interested google datadot and check it out. Subaru and yanaha employ datadot technology from the factory.

Snake

Back