free website stats program How are bags viewed by the law in your area? | Harley Davidson Forums

How are bags viewed by the law in your area?

oseita

Just for personal info, In your area of the world, are saddle bags considered the same as a glove box or trunk on a car by the police? I ask this because I ride alot in S. Carolina which does not honor my Ga. firearms liscense, but I am allowed to have it in a fork bag or saddlebag. Interested in other states and countries.

Can't speak for other jurisdictions, but here in the state of New Jersey, it is just about impossible for a civilian to get a carry permit. Consequently, if you are stopped by the police and they find a handgun, you're toast. At the very least, you'll spend a few hours in jail, definitely loose the gun, and if you're lucky, get PTI or probation. If you are an ex offender, you are most likely headed back to prison.

My advice is to double check each and every state that you are planning on travelling through to check their gun laws. Don't plan on them not searching your bags or person. As I mentioned, the potential liabilities can definitely ruin your day...

In Ohio, if you do not have a CCL, the weapon must be locked in a compartment not accesable while driving, and the ammo in a seperate compartment.

I dont know about bikes,But In AZ. you can carry it on youre side. If you carry in youre car it has to be in a holster if you put it under youre seat.It can be loaded though.
Maybe there afriad you'll get stale beer on it under youre seat !

Just for personal info, In your area of the world, are saddle bags considered the same as a glove box or trunk on a car by the police? I ask this because I ride alot in S. Carolina which does not honor my Ga. firearms liscense, but I am allowed to have it in a fork bag or saddlebag. Interested in other states and countries.
have a look here Handgunlaw.us

to answer your question, as a LEO, your saddle bags would be considered private unless they are open and something suspicious is visible, just like a glove box, that is unless you give consent. :)

I appreciate the input. I know that I am ok here in Ga. and that Fla will honor my permit. I recently had an argument with a friend of mine over the issue of whether it is possible that a cop can search the bags without a warrant. That is the main bit of info I am looking for.

I appreciate the input. I know that I am ok here in Ga. and that Fla will honor my permit. Is it possible that a cop can search the bags without a warrant?

Anywhere in Canada and the U.S. they can site probable cause

You don't "CITE" probable cause..you have to develop it through a lawful investigation..if your bags are closed and there are no extenuating circumstances (informant, something dripping out (blood,etc), a LEO would have to get permission or a warrant, IMO. I've been a Fla cop for 18 yrs, so take it for what its worth. Bear in mind, people have different opinions of what probable cause is (thats why we have courts) so it can vary.

Back