free website stats program How a bike sounds on and off of it. | Harley Davidson Forums

How a bike sounds on and off of it.

SoonerSoftail

I just got home from having a new Avon Venom put on the back of my Heritage. Since I haven't had it very long I haven't had the opportunity to hear it run with someone else riding it, a very rare occurrence since I don't let anyone ride my bikes except at the shop I take it to for things I don't want to do myself. Both my Sporty sounded and now my Heritage sounds even more different when I'm riding on them than other guys bikes. The Heritage exhaust note especially just sounds funny. But when the shop mechanic started her up and headed around the parking lot with her I let out a huge AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! When I'm away from her a few feet she sounds GREAT! Now I just have to keep the idea in my head that the sound is different sitting on the bike than hearing her go down the road.

Something else to think about. Maybe it is only in my head but I think my stock pipes sound different (better) now that I have about 7K miles on the bike. Does the sound change with age or am I just wishing it was true?

Definitely sounds different from the pilot position on the bike verses off...big difference when riding in the canyons, past a "sound wall" or long fence...even when on the freeway just going inside a tunnel...ALL GOOD!

Ever notice how you smell things so much better, especially in the country, going through evergreen tree groves or near the coast and sea air...the lemon and strawberry fields here in SoCal are just great...can never notice it in a cage. That is what makes rider feel more at "one" with the road...it is not just hype!

Yes, you get a "muffled" version of the bike which differs from a spectator b/c of how the sound travels. I had Short Shots on my 05 Sporty & you could really hear the "cackle" when traveling near barricade walls & under bridges. My 09 SG is pretty low/quiet from the rider's seat, but the rear rumbles when it drives by on the hwy.

My Sporty sounds like a VW bug when I am riding it and has V&H straighshots. It could be the full faced helmet I am wearing causing it to sound that way.

I did let my friend ride it so I could hear it as a spectator and man o man it is a full blooded, loud, alarm setting off Harley. Yaaaa....

That is funny, I just watched a video of the old days when guys were riding the old Knuckleheads around the farm and jumping them going up and down trails. Pretty cool those big old bikes getting all mudy and jumping!

The type of helmet you have on has alot to do with it.I left work one day and forgot to take my ear plugs out,I thought something was bad wrong with the bike till I got home & discovered the plugs in my ears.

Back