free website stats program Houston, Tx to Bethal, New York | Harley Davidson Forums

Houston, Tx to Bethal, New York

A month from now, me and my wife will be headed out from Houston riding to Bethal, New York to see where Woodstock took place. We will be gone about 9 days. My wife wants to take a ride into New York City and see The Staue Of Liberty, but not sure i want to risk riding in New York City. On the way back, we will be riding thru the Blue Ridge Mountains. We are really looking forward to the trip. If any of you folks have any ideals of places to see and stay, please chime in. We will probably do Interstate on the way up and as many scenic roads we can find on the way back.

Bethal Woods is a fantastic music venue. I go to at least one show there every year. As far as the Statue of Liberty goes you can go see it and avoid riding in NYC. Go to Jersey City and head to Liberty State Park. You can park there and jump on a ferry from this terminal and get there much faster because you will not be waiting in a line like you would from Battery Park. If you decide to do this drop me a pm and I will give you a great rate in a hotel overlooking Manhattan if you want.

Ride Safe,
Mike

I agree - avoid riding your bike in Manhatten at all costs!

On your return trip, Maggie Valley, NC is a nice place to stop for a night or two and have access to all sorts of great roads, including the Tail of the Dragon and the Cherohala Skyway. Laws have changed where you can now have an adult beverage while unwinding in the hot tub and not as crowded as the Gatlinburg area on the other side of the mountains. Best Western had a great rate in conjunction with their HD affiliation.

Bethal Woods is a fantastic music venue. I go to at least one show there every year. As far as the Statue of Liberty goes you can go see it and avoid riding in NYC. Go to Jersey City and head to Liberty State Park. You can park there and jump on a ferry from this terminal and get there much faster because you will not be waiting in a line like you would from Battery Park. If you decide to do this drop me a pm and I will give you a great rate in a hotel overlooking Manhattan if you want.

Ride Safe,
Mike

Wow, what a great offer. Nice to see us taking care of each other. kudos.

A month from now, me and my wife will be headed out from Houston riding to Bethal, New York to see where Woodstock took place. We will be gone about 9 days. My wife wants to take a ride into New York City and see The Staue Of Liberty, but not sure i want to risk riding in New York City. On the way back, we will be riding thru the Blue Ridge Mountains. We are really looking forward to the trip. If any of you folks have any ideals of places to see and stay, please chime in. We will probably do Interstate on the way up and as many scenic roads we can find on the way back.

Keep us posted, we would love to participate in your ride by reading about it. I live in Sugar Land but was born in Buffalo, NY. I have thought so many times about making that trip up there (especially to Niagara Falls).

Thoughts and prayers for a safe journey!

There are several nice roads (220,221, 340) that parallel I-81 through Virginia. The kind of roads you can ride on all day, with gentle curves and elev. changes. Seems to be more towns E. of the interstate, and more elevation W.
If you haven't been on the Blue Ridge Pky., it's worth it. N.E. of Ashville is slightly less challenging than S.W. The speed limit is low, but RV's will usually keep you well below the limit. It is almost all built on the tops of mountains, and has beautiful scenery and lots of overlooks. Depending on condidions you may be able to see for many miles, or barely able to see your front fender.
Throw a Road Atlas in your pack, and plan tomorrows ride each night according to tomorrows weather report.

I will try an post while on the trip. As of now, our plan is to take I-10 to New Orleans and pick up 59 i think and that runs into 81, which will take us into New York. My thinking was to not do much sight seeing on the way up, but once we leave Bethal, we dont have really any thing planed out. Between now and when we go with alot of people giving us some suggestions on where to go, we will have an ideal kinda on the trip back. We will be leaving late afternoon on a friday and will have 9 days to go riding. I saved an extra day just in case we dont get back the following sunday. Thanks for all your input

Back