free website stats program Hotel/Motel Rewards Plans - Recommendations? | Harley Davidson Forums

Hotel/Motel Rewards Plans - Recommendations?

Dr. Dolittle

Experienced Member
Contributor
Retired Moderators
I've been formulating some trips for this upcoming spring/summer. I know camping is the most economical way to go but there's something very attractive about a hot shower and a real bed at the end of a long day of riding. I figure if I'm going to be spending a lot of nights in hotels or motels this year, I might as well try to pick one chain for most of my stays and get some kind of discounts or rewards. Looking for recommendations from all you savvy travellers.

Most likely I'll be solo so anything at the lower end of the luxury scale is fine with me. If I was travelling with my wife aboard it would be a different story. Looking for a chain that's common in the East and Southeast mostly - I don't think I'll be getting west of the Mississippi this year.

Thanks everyone!

Hey Dr.Doo,
I would recommend the Holiday Inn, They have a great rewards program. And you can rack up some points with them. You can find them coast to coast and they have remodled quite a few of them, nothing fancy but a hot shower and a clean room.
All of my techs stay in them when on the road and we also use them for the hurricans this year from New Orleans to Houston for over 3 months and they were great to us.
We usually rack up enough points for us to stay 5 nights, 2 rooms for bike week in March and Octoberfest. I also offer it to the techs when they want to get "away" for a few days. Plus they give you 2 free drink cards when you check in. Thats like $10.00 right there.
To second what Smitty just said, "press" them for their best rates, you would be surprized how much they can drop a rate at the front desk. Joing their program has helped us save $$ and the hasel when they say they have no rooms.

I travel enough that I am diamond with Hilton and Platinum with Marriott and usually keep Gold with Intercontinental (Holiday Inn). Hilton is good east and south east and includes Hilton, Hampton, DoubleTree, Embasy Suites and a couple of the old luxury hotels (The Drake in chicago for example). Marriott is Farifield, Courtyard, Residence Inn, Marriott and Renesance Inn. Intercontinental is holiday inn, holiday inn express, and a few others. Whichever you are staying at join the rewards program. When you get some status you make different levels and get a bump on the points you accumulate. I get enough toi stay 4 to 5 weeks at midline hotels (Courtyard, Embassy Suites) A lot of the smaller towns will have a Hampton or a Fairfield Inn. (Sourth and sourth east). You can also accumulate points with Hotel sponsered credit cards and even airline partners and rental car partners.
My preference is Hilton. Next being Marriott and then Intercontinental. Interconttinental has gotten to where it is about 20,000 points a night for most Holiday Inn Express nights (same as Courtyard or Hampton Inn). Most of the reward programs are 10 points per dollar spent at the hotel then after you accumulate enough points you get reward nights and don't pay for the hotel.
A really good deal is Residence Inn by Marriott. Generally a good breakfast on weeknights there is a managers reception with a little wine and beer bar and always Laundry facilities. (next to that hot shower a set of clean cloths is great). you will have to be in a bigger city to find them but you cruise by the bigger cities in your travels anyway.

I travel a lot and the two hotel chains I stay at are Best Western they are negotiable at check in and they have a good rewards program,you can register online or at the front desk of the first one you check into. The second place is Jameson/signature inn, you get stock shares for every night you stay

Lots of good points being brought up. My only overnights I've done so far, I've made reservations knowing exactly where I'd be. I'm thinking on a longer trip, it's a little more risky making reservations since you never know what kind of weather you're going to run in to or you might find someplace interesting to stop at for awhile that puts you behind your original schedule. I guess I'm saying I want to be able to ride as long as I want, stop when I want, and then have 1 or 2 lower priced places in mind to look for that are under $50 but still clean and dependable. On the other hand, it would really stink to ride all day and then have to hop between several places because of high rates or no vacancies. I'll probably end up doing a combination of the reservations and the free lancing.

For me Motel 8, Days inn, Scottish Inns, Knights Inn work. Lower scale, but when I check in I just need a shower and somewhere to sleep. If you have an AARP card you can save more. If you are down in south Mississippi let me know.

Respects...Joe

For me Motel 8, Days inn, Scottish Inns, Knights Inn work. Lower scale, but when I check in I just need a shower and somewhere to sleep. If you have an AARP card you can save more. If you are down in south Mississippi let me know.

Respects...Joe

I do have an AARP card so I will look into their discounts. Going to try to do the Natchez Trace. How far are you from that? Is south to north better than north to south?

The method I usually use is convieneince. When it's time to stop, I find a hotel. If I'm just going to use the hotel, I try to find one that is not out of the way. If I'll be looking for refreshments and entertainment, I try to find that first, and then a hotel nearby. I stay away from high end ones, and concentrate more on location. The high end ones usually aren't near my other interests for the evening anyway. I can save a ton by getting a $34.95 room too. You get over the smell once you fall asleep.
Lew, you know you can take a shower before bed. That should take care of the smell.:bigsmiley20:
I'm with you on where to stop. I also don't want to plan my trip by motel distance.
And Lew, remember, I use my AARP old card for discounts.

Last edited:
Back