free website stats program Hot Primary | Harley Davidson Forums

Hot Primary

ultra pearl

Is it normal for the primary chrome cover to get hot while you're riding.
The primary on my 08 ultra gets hot enough you can't keep your hand on it after coming back from a afternoon ride.
I can feel it through my jeans and chaps when I'm just sitting on the bike with my feet on the ground.

Due to all the bits of metal on the engine being joined together the heat from the hot bits will migrate to the cool bits and so the whole lot gets hot although the area where the heat is created will be the hottest and the migration of the heat helps cool the hot bits

Brian

Yesterday was in the 90's here in NE. After an enjoyable Sunday PM ride I went in & swaped riding gear for t-shirt & shorts. Burnt my leg twice while backing bike into garage stall. The answer is - yes...primary gets very hot. :newsmile108:

I asked this exact question about two years ago regarding my 08 EGC. It appears to be normal, I've put many miles on the bike since and never had a problem.

Making GOOD choices on Primary Lube will make a BIG difference NOT mainly in Heat BUT longevity of the parts inside this Hot Box.

signed....BUBBIE

All part of a good days ride, only other answer would be open belt primary, but that would not look good on a Bagger IMO:)

Back