Hot pipes

Discussion in 'General Harley Davidson Topic' started by Zephead, Dec 11, 2010.

1. Zephead

Zephead Member

It has been cold and wet so I have not started the bike for about two months. I know I kneed a battery tender but I haven't gotten around to it yet. I fired it up today no problem. My garage is dark and after about 5 to seven minutes of idle I noticed the pipes were glowing red near the heads. I have never noticed this before but I have not looked at it when it was that dark. Is it normal for the pipes to glow red hot like that? Other issues possibly? Everything seemed totally normal otherwise. Thanks for you comments or advice.

2. dbmg

dbmg Experienced Member

Remember........ Air cooled, cold startup, extended idle, lean running bike do to EPA, and letting sit still. This adds up to what you saw. If your going to start it ride it if not like Smitty says install tender and forget about it till spring..........

3. Zephead

Zephead Member

Thanks I'll get off my hind quarters and get the tender.

4. larryjmiller

larryjmiller Junior Member

You can get an awesome tender at Harbor Freight on sale for about $5. I have several and they work great.

5. bobwire

bobwire Active Member

check ex. bolts & gaskets, you might be sucking some air..............bw

6. Iceman24

Iceman24 Well-Known Member

Yep, let bike sit until spring. If mine gets started - too tempting to ride & I don't want to freeze anything off...;)