free website stats program Hot pipes | Harley Davidson Forums

Hot pipes

D Rod

I had the fortunate pleasure of taking my new Night Rod Special out last week. It was 65 degrees here in Cleveland, Ohio so I called off work and went riding. This was only my second ride and the first one in warm(er) weather.
My problem is the exhaust pipe was uncomfortably hot on my ride lower leg.
Any ideas, or should I quit my bitchin and deal with it?

Congrats on the NRS! I was in Ohio last week on business and it indeed felt like spring. I have not experienced significant heat after almost a year with the NRS. I know the bikes come lean from the factory and this could be a contributing factor, relieved if/when you make mods to the exhaust and fuel injection.

I had the fortunate pleasure of taking my new Night Rod Special out last week. It was 65 degrees here in Cleveland, Ohio so I called off work and went riding. This was only my second ride and the first one in warm(er) weather.
My problem is the exhaust pipe was uncomfortably hot on my ride lower leg.
Any ideas, or should I quit my bitchin and deal with it?

I had the same on my 07 E-C E/G and had the dealer change to Sync oil on the first 1K mile service. Made a little difference but not much.

The syn oil will make a small difference like Harry said but some are claiming 10-20 * drop in temps using syn oil, all I can say to that is hmmmmmmm. :D

being water cooled is there a thermastat that could posibly be changed or turned upside down to make it run cooler?

being water cooled is there a thermastat that could posibly be changed or turned upside down to make it run cooler?

There's a thermostat but changing it to a slightly lower temp range would help somewhat if they are made at a lower temp opening for that bike.

Also if you turn it upside down, it will not open up and allow the flow of water correctly and more than likely overheat the engine because it wouldn't open until a very high temp. Instead of the temp sensing part in the engine where it senses the water temp and opens at a pre determined temp, it would be in the cooler water in the hose to the radiator.

just wonder I bought a truck and it never got to full operating temp because the thermastat was in upside down. I figured it was stuck open but when I took it out to change it I saw it was in upside down. I ran it like that for a whole winter before I knew it, because it did get warm enough to heat coolant up enough to blow hot air from the heater. the only way I knew anything was wrong was from the emision testing it was running rich because the fuel injection always thought it was cold.
I know truck and bike are two different animals, but it might be worth trying.

Here we go again, (mentioned in another thread),

check out the simple voltage divider from http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/hd2007HD_nbo2_volt_divide.htm

HD O2 connector part numbers are

Harley part numbers from the '07 Dyna manual are:
2 of, 72009-05 Housing 2-way pin ALL
4 of, 72011-05 Wire Seal, 16-20 AWG (yellow) ALL GP/GV
2 of, 72006-05 Terminal, socket 16-20 AWG GP/GV
2 of, 72007-05 Housing 2-way socket GP/GV

build it with the correct connectors, and they'll be no soldering to mess it up as they mention.

And if these two different animals mate what would you get??

Maybe a bick or a trike!!!!! I know it is time for me to have more shock therapy...:bigsmiley30:

At least your helmet will hide the bald spots on your heat where they hook up the electrodes.:bigsmiley22:

Back