free website stats program Hot or cold starting question | Harley Davidson Forums

Hot or cold starting question

CRCKR

Every once in a while when i hit start the bike just seems like the starter is hitting on the compression stroke and it doesn't turn over. When this happens my (dyna) display resets to milage as if I've had the battery disconnected. I don't t set the clock so I'm just asking if this an indication of a possible bad ground or something before I start messing with it. It engages then fails then electronics seem to reset. Odo A and B remain counting.
ML&R,
Cracker

In my opinion it would sure seem like you are momentarily loosing battery power as indicated by your speedo resetting.
Yes, check grounds and especially your battery post connections.

Last time that happened, I tried to squeeze out a few more miles until the battery I ordered arrived, but it totally failed in of all places, a cemetery.

I would first check connections and ground as 76 shovel suggested. If you haven't verified the battery is good, check it, fully charged you should get ~ 12.7 volts, running it should read ~ 14.5, if not try charging it. If it won't hold a charge it's time to get a new one.

As others have said, check battery. Even though you may have 12.7 v , you don't know if battery does not have enough amps due to a bad cell. Also, most years of Dyna's have TWO negative cables. One from - batt. post to a lug welded to frame near the electrical connection box, then another from the lug to starter ground bolt. The frame lug sometimes corrodes and results in a bad ground connection. I ran another cable straight from batt. to starter.

Thanks guys, I'm gonna limp her along for another month or so if I can. Winter is almost here and she will get a full examination of all wiring when I get into the Winter Detailing. I cannot believe it is only 19SEP and I had to break out gloves this AM to get to work. Anyway, while I'm at it I'm gonna follow Breeze's lead on that ground cable from BATT-->Starter while I'm at it.

Back