free website stats program Hot Harleys | Harley Davidson Forums

Hot Harleys

glider

Veteran Member
Things getting hot for Harley-Davidson's air cooled engines

There is an ever-increasing movement of folks who feel Harley-Davidson has taken the air-cooled engine about as far as it can go. It seems like, without fail, anticipation rises among industry insiders and consumers alike that H-D is finally going to deliver upon rumors of making the move to liquid cooling.
Of course back in 2001 when the V-Rod was first announced, it almost appeared as though the air-cooled days were numbered, but in the decade that’s followed, H-D has silenced its skeptics by proving the air-cooled Evolution engine and liquid-cooled Revolution design can share a product line in harmony.
Well, believe it or not, there are more than just technology hounds taking a stand against H-D’s reluctance to adopt modern liquid cooling. A federal judge ruled that a class action lawsuit against Harley-Davidson, claiming Harley engines run so hot that they pose a constant danger of burning their operators/passengers, is going forward.
The sympathetic arbitrator sided with four bikers claiming their Harley-Davidson motorcycles were defective in design.
The complaint goes on to state that since 1999, Twin Cam engines between 88 and 110 cubic inches are capable of producing excess heat – enough in fact to cause clothing to catch fire in normal operating conditions.
The suit also alleges that the motors burn hot enough to pose a danger of burn injury to both riders and passengers. As if all of these concerns for personal safety aren’t valid enough, the suit even contains evidence that such high operating temperatures causes premature engine wear and transmission failures in certain models.
“The Motor Company” was hoping the Eastern District of California court would dismiss the suit under state law, but this latest word that the U.S. District Judge sided with the biker complainants is big news indeed.

Of course, the allegations of a few riders will unlikely sway the entire manufacturing process of Harley-Davidson, but there is legitimate concern that as the suit passes into higher courts, other sympathetic judges may determine that such high operating temperatures are in fact design defects and hence affect not only future engine production, but retroactively demand updates to existing H-Ds via mandatory recalls.
Further complicating matters, the plaintiffs are relying upon undisputed evidence of Harley marketing larger engines, which are unable to meet emission standards in many states (one of those being California).
On the flip side, those opposed to the idea of H-D facing legal action for simply doing what they’ve always done claim that higher operating temperatures on air-cooled motors are to be expected and fall under the jurisdiction of common sense.

I dont get it...If there are people that feel a Harley motor runs too hot then why dont they simply ride something else? There are plenty of water cooled bikes on the market to choose from. Why does the opinion of a few have to (EDIT) everybody?

Please read and understand the info in this link below...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
I had seen that. I would have thought it would of been for the death wobble or slipping cranks etc. But instead it sounds like another McDonalds hot coffee suit to me. I've never heard of clothing catching fire. But if it did it would be from contact to pipes or heat sheilds which get pretty hot on ALL bikes.

I dont get it...If there are people that feel a Harley motor runs too hot then why dont they simply ride something else? There are plenty of water cooled bikes on the market to choose from. Why does the opinion of a few have to (EDIT)
everybody?

I agree 100%
If they think Harley's are defective, just don't buy them. If enough people agreed with them and stopped buying harley, harley would change, no need for the courts. Obviously, alot of people (including me) don't think harleys are defective. If they want to buy rice burners, more power to them.

I dont get it...If there are people that feel a Harley motor runs too hot then why dont they simply ride something else? There are plenty of water cooled bikes on the market to choose from. Why does the opinion of a few have mess with everybody?

I agree 100%
If they think Harley's are defective, just don't buy them. If enough people agreed with them and stopped buying harley, harley would change, no need for the courts. Obviously, alot of people (including me) don't think harleys are defective. If they want to buy rice burners, more power to them.

Unfortunately many lawsuits are not about anything other than money or the chance thereof. Many times it's no different than stealing and the costs are passed on to all of us.

Fact is ALL engines water cooled included have very hot exhaust pipes and heat shields (where clothing contact would occur). From my experience cottom will not burn from such heat, nylon (rainsuits) will melt but not flame. I'm sure some of you have seen the occasion gas spill on a hot bike. While it can be somewhat scary, most times the gas will just evaporate off and not flame up. I would be very surprised if this law suit goes thru, but I've been very surprised before.

Try a Kawasaki 1700 voyager. You'll fry you right leg to a crisp and then while you're stopped at a light, you'll enjoy a balmy blast of hot air off the radiator when the fan kicks on. Water-cooling may be inevitable (due to big brother) but if it's not done right then you'll be worse off.

Courts and common sense? LOLOLOLOLOLOLOOLOLOLOOLOLOLLOLLLOOLLOLLOO!!!!!!!!!!!
Sorry, I got carried away.
Anyway , where were we? Oh ya......LOLOLOLOLOLLOLLLOLLOLLOOLLOLO!!!!!!!!!!!!
wilks3 :s
:USA

Back