free website stats program Horn stopped working? | Harley Davidson Forums

Horn stopped working?

Shelby6t7

Out of nowhere the horn on my 2002 Fat Boy stopped working? I hit the switch and get nothing? Did the switch go bad?

Thanks
WAP.gif

Un plug it and run a jumper wire to it see if it works first and make sure it is grounded:s

Out of nowhere the horn on my 2002 Fat Boy stopped working? I hit the switch and get nothing? Did the switch go bad?

Thanks
WAP.gif
Or you can start at the Switch and take the grip apart and short the wires together and see if it honks. Or put a power source on the horn and see if it honks. ???? lots of starting places.:small3d023:

The less invasive your troubleshooting the better. I would use a DMM and Ground the black lead and check for voltage at the horn terrminal contact(s). I do not think you have a horn relay, so very little to go wrong. Common problem is blown fuse or horn is temperature sensitive, as it is simply a electromagnet with bimetallic strip interrupter that makes and breaks rapidly the magnetic field buzzing the metal diaphram. Normally the horn is at the "end of the line" with grounded case as ground return.

http://www.hdtimeline.com/electrical_and_lighting_systems/3646-wiring_diagrams.html

Had a similar prob.
On my Ultra the horn ground attaches to the top motor mount on the rear cylinder. The bolt had backed out causing the ground to be bad. Re-torqued and horn works fine now. I now check those bolts every oil change. The manual gives a pretty fool proof method to test the horn and switch.

Butch:

Just wanna say thanks..........

Traced the ground lead coming off the horn which, on an '02 Fat Boy mounts on top of the horn/choke bracket by the front head. Not only was the bolt backed out, but it was missing entirely? Found it sitting on the bottom of the engine case. Re-installed it and the horn works just fine now.

Thanks again
Kenny

Butch:

Just wanna say thanks..........

Traced the ground lead coming off the horn which, on an '02 Fat Boy mounts on top of the horn/choke bracket by the front head. Not only was the bolt backed out, but it was missing entirely? Found it sitting on the bottom of the engine case. Re-installed it and the horn works just fine now.

Thanks again
Kenny

Anytime Kenny, glad yours was a simple fix. Those bolts loosening must be a common problem. On mine the rear was gone and the front was a about half way out. I considered safety wiring them, and still may this winter.

Use of a star/lock washer and blue Locktite probably work to prevent recurrence.

Back