free website stats program Horn/Electrical Problem | Page 6 | Harley Davidson Forums

Horn/Electrical Problem

If it is a simple add in relay to cope with the additional power load of the horns the wiring for it should be fairly simple and normally there is a wiring diagram on the back of the relay
there should be 2 circuits with the relay the actuation circuit and the working circuit
for a horn system i would expect the normal horn wiring to be used for actuation so the 2 wires that normally go on the horn are plugged into the relay
then additional wiring is added from the battery to the relay that would have a fuse then the wiring from the relay to the add in horns then a connection from the horns to earth to complete the circuit
depending on the type of relay could have a single wire to + on horn 1 then from - on horn 1 to + on horn 2 then from - on horn 2 to earth
or could be 2 output terminals on the relay giving a wire to each of the horns to + and the - of the horns to earth
im getting confused now

Brian

. Now I need to know which wire needs to be switched to battery negative. They're both black wires so that's no help but one of them passes through a black plastic rectangular box that I'm assuming is another inline type fuse.

Sorry to ramble on so much but I wanted to be as specific as possible.

Doc

If you can be certain that the black box is indeed a fuse then that one stays on the + side of the battery and the other gores to the NEG. Be certain that the box isn't a relay. If it has more than one wire in and one out, then it's probably a relay.

Do you have a link where I can review the instructions to this Horn setup.

Again thanks to you - your asking this question sent me to the Rivco website where I was about to copy the link with installation instructions. All of a sudden, VOILA, there was a picture showing the wire containing the inline fuse going to the positive terminal of the battery. I went out and switched the other wire over to the negative terminal and everything's working fine again.

If anyone's actually made it this far into the thread, here's the moral to take away from this whole thing. My problem absolutely was of my own making and 100% reinforces the concept that when something stops working or is not working the same, go straight back to the last thing you did on your bike. I had to disconnect all the wires from the battery when I was hooking up my Hogtunes amp. I thought sure I had kept them organized to the proper side of the battery for reattachment but obviously this one wire had wandered over to the other side.

Good for you Doc, my old man always said what was the last thing you did, and it still holds true today:s

Perhaps it might be a good idea to mark all the + connections on to the battery with a wee bit of red electrical tape then youll know red + black - and it wont happen again

Brian

Dr.D...don't feel bad, we have all done that at one time or another...not a badge of honor...just a rite of passage, electronics can become routine, and even those of us who deal with it all the time can make mistakes. Reason why we are "learned" Harley riders...one day at a time!:newsmile100:

Electricity is a funny animal, it can confuse even the best of us. Without good grounds and clean and tight connections, you have to start at square one, the battery and work thru the system, and be paitent and careful IMO

Back