free website stats program Hooking up Garmin Zumo 550 w/XM to Ultra | Harley Davidson Forums

Hooking up Garmin Zumo 550 w/XM to Ultra

Hoopie

I expect this question has been addressed before but I was not able to locate one to answer my 3 questions.

1. Where is the best place under the front fairing to mount the xm antenna? Can it be placed on top of the amp or radio?
2. In order to get the Garmin and XM thru the Ultra radio and headset I must run a single male end cable from the Garmin audio out to the radio's Aux port. Is this correct? The use of 90 degree ends make a lot of sense from a previous thread reply.
3. What function is used to allow the radio to work with the Garmin and XM?

This is a new ride for me and would appreciate any help in getting the Garmin and XM set up. I certainly would rather be riding than messing with wires and fairing.

*** Harley did come out with a new inter fairing Road Tech Zumo mount that will fit your Garmin Zumo. It really cleans things up and sits at a great level for you and your rider to see.

1. Yes, I put mine on top of the radio, no problems with it there.

2. Yes, be sure to get a stereo cable.

3. Cycle thru the functions (AM, FM, CB, etc.) until you get to AUX. (you may have to have the stereo cable plugged in.)

I expect this question has been addressed before but I was not able to locate one to answer my 3 questions.

1. Where is the best place under the front fairing to mount the xm antenna? Can it be placed on top of the amp or radio?
2. In order to get the Garmin and XM thru the Ultra radio and headset I must run a single male end cable from the Garmin audio out to the radio's Aux port. Is this correct? The use of 90 degree ends make a lot of sense from a previous thread reply.
3. What function is used to allow the radio to work with the Garmin and XM?

This is a new ride for me and would appreciate any help in getting the Garmin and XM set up. I certainly would rather be riding than messing with wires and fairing.

*** Harley did come out with a new inter fairing Road Tech Zumo mount that will fit your Garmin Zumo. It really cleans things up and sits at a great level for you and your rider to see.

I installed the XM that connects into the H-K system. It came with a small mounting plate to mount the antenna inside the fairing, on the upper left support, just under the windshield. I was a little skeptical at first with mounting it inside the fairing, but have been quite pleased with the reception.

Kennedy technologies makes an interface that works great use it on my ultra see cyclegadgets.com they can help you get setup

I installed the XM that connects into the H-K system. It came with a small mounting plate to mount the antenna inside the fairing, on the upper left support, just under the windshield. I was a little skeptical at first with mounting it inside the fairing, but have been quite pleased with the reception.

Do you have a picture of it? I would appreciate. Thanks.

Any chance for a small picture of your installation?

I'm surprised you can get signal through the outer fairing.

Temp solution I used so far is stuff the antenna into one of the three leather pouches I have at the base of my windshield but it is not "secure" enough for me.

Thanks

People with older bikes that have cassette tape decks shoild not mount xm antenna on top of radio because of the magnet in the antenna. I just have my antenna inside my windshield pouch, that way I can remove it easily to put in the truck.
kemo

There are plenty of ways to do it...EKLIPS makes a conventional accessory cig lighter outlet with cover, though Glider recently documented in tips the idea of using a marine type bulkhead wiring plug for clean look when you do not have it hooked up. It will require a mod to go from the GPS to 2 pin weather resistant plug. Pretty clean and professional looking! Look in Self Help section for examples of some installation ideas.

Last edited:
Thanks Glider, the other questions relating to the 90 deg connection, integration and use and access to the front auxilliary port were documented by TQ and others, the installation is pretty clean and seamless (as far as integration going between modes, even using Bluetooth headsets). Use the Search tab near the top of the page to find the threads or go to Self Help tab to find different methods that work.

Back