free website stats program Honestly, I'm a Bit Disappointed With Stage I | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Honestly, I'm a Bit Disappointed With Stage I

Doc,
Throttle by wire does have some "Throttle Progressivity" which does limit how much the butterfly will open vs the grip. This is what you may be feeling. (? maybe).

Once 2500 RPM is reached, the ratio between grip and butterfly is 1:1 (just like cable drive)

But if you are at 2000 RPM with the twist grip at 100% open, the butterfly is only 69% open.

Even worse at 1750 RPM, a grip of 100% only yields a 54% butterfly.

I have the complete chart if you want it posted.

That explains a lot!

I had forgotten all about it until you mentioned it. I am cable drive so I tend to forget about things like that. Glad you brought it up because maybe that is some of what Doc is feeling...

BTW, it is something that you can change by programming the ECM.

So I can take it to the dealer and have the ECM reprogrammed to eliminate this "lag?"

My quess would be that you just aren't twisting the throttle fast enough. The TFI won't kick in with extra fuel unless you are rather aggressive. Same for the Stage 1 aircleaner. Open up that throttle and you should feel the extra 10-12 ponies begin to run. Try hitting around 4000 rpm in second-third-fourth gears. Not slowly, just crank and hold on my good man. If you drive like my granny does, you will never feel it.

Sorry, but nice try. I was doing roll ons in 2nd, 4th, and 5th with wide open throttle. It's definitely a function of RPM and not throttle position.

That explains a lot!
So I can take it to the dealer and have the ECM reprogrammed to eliminate this "lag?"

Let me make sure you have that soft acceleration map in your ECM. Your bike is a 2008 Touring "96" with throttle by wire,, correct?

Dr. Dolittle, Hi, Andrews 26H cams, around 250.00 ? from a parts house on the east coast. Easy install. Will reduce heat coming off motor also. These cams come alive between 1800 rpm and 5000 rpm. Don't race the bullet bikes.

You also asked if you could do this yourself, if my girlfriend can do them with me looking over her shoulder and not touching a wrench, you can do them too. Do not be intimadated by a handful of bolts. You will be surprised how slick the go together. Happy face again.

You also asked if you could do this yourself, if my girlfriend can do them with me looking over her shoulder and not touching a wrench, you can do them too. Do not be intimadated by a handful of bolts. You will be surprised how slick the go together. Happy face again.

Thanks, I appreciate the encouragement. But then how do I know your girlfriend isn't a Harley certified mechanic? :lolrolling

Seriously, I'm getting better with the mechanical confidence and I sincerely appreciate the advice from you guys and gals who have "been there and done that!"

She started riding H-D first time rider in 2004. 1200XLC 35,000 miles in two years. Then came home on an 07 Electra Glide Standard which I made her do the cams on, also the A/N air filter assembly and Kuryakyn Crusher pipes. 32,000 miles later she ended up on an 09 Ultra Classic. Again it went on the rack. Andrews 26H cams, A/N filter assembly, Powercommander V, F/P Exhaust. I helped her with the Powercommander. Claims she will never ride stock again.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR. Dolittle, forgot to mention, the girlfriend is a nurse at the Childrens Hospital her in SLC, UT. And in her mid 50's. She can do a spinal tap and cams too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do the 2008 TC's have roller chain or gear driven cams?

Yes. Your bike should be stock with the roller chain inside and out, higher flow oil pump, and hydraulic tensioners. So all you need to do is pull the cover, calapse the pushrod covers and cut the pushrods, remove the outer sprockets and chain, loosen the four pump screws, take out the plate and cams, replace the INA bearings with the Torringtons, replace the cams, and slap it back together and adjust the new adjustable pushrods.

Couple of hours of solid labor and you are roaring down the road feelin' that low end torque!!

TQ

Last edited:
That explains a lot!

2008 Touring TBW 1584cc does have a "soft Acceleration" map or as Delphi calls it a "Throttle Progressivity" map.

With your twist grip at 100% the following is true:

1000 RPM your Butterfly is 23% opened
1250 28.5%
1500 39%
1750 54%
2000 69%
2500 99%

I wish I knew what was happening from 2000 RPM to 2500 RPM but it does not say. I would guess it is a linear curve meaning at 2250 you have ~85% of butterfly.(?)

Those values can be changed to a max value of 99% in all cells (64 total). I am sure the dealer will have reasons why you should not change them. It's all up to you. Maybe leave everything alone up to 2000 RPM and then go 99% in all 8 cells of 2000 RPM. This way up to 2000 you won't be able to lug the engine but at 2K you will have 99% of available power.

Back