free website stats program Homemade Tank Lift... | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Homemade Tank Lift...

Hey dyna-rider nice job and cosi view.
Could you provide me more detail info I'm interesting to do the same on my FXDC 2005.

Looks great and really quite ingenious. I am curious, did you close the open pipe spacer ends or have to use some RTV or adhesive to hold it in place while you were putting all the hardware in to keep it aligned? :)

I'm guessing he just got a another long acorn bolt and slid it thru the pipe and both tank brackets. If he did something else I would be interested in hearing that too.

Really creative, it looks more like some of the purchase lifts that have that same design, only they welded (or billet machined) the spacer into the whole body of the lift.

I left the ends of the pipe open, held it in place, and just used a 4" bolt with an acorn nut. I am going to be making the parts for my neigbor in a couple of weeks. I will photo the parts and give some details. Parts were all made with hand tools (hacksaw, drill, and file) and are not machined pieces, but they look good when installed.

Thanks for your positive comments.

Last edited by a moderator:
I left the ends of the pipe open, held it in place, and just used a 4" bolt with an acorn nut. I am going to be making the parts for my neigbor in a couple of weeks. I will photo the parts and give some details. Parts were all made with hand tools (hacksaw, drill, and file) and are not machined pieces, but they look good when installed. Thanks for your positive comments.

I couldn't tell from the photo, did you paint the pipe spacer black?

They sell aluminum tubing at Lowes and Ace and you could also use that and just polish it up (or paint it black). The galvanized pipe has a tendency to rust on the cut ends.

I spray painted everything gloss black. I may pick up some aluminum tubing and paint it instead of the galvanized pipe. I don't want to polish the aluminum because due to its location, etc. it would be very hard to keep polished.

I spray painted everything gloss black. I may pick up some aluminum tubing and paint it instead of the galvanized pipe. I don't want to polish the aluminum because due to its location, etc. it would be very hard to keep polished.

If you painted the ends of the cut, it will be a long time before you notice any rust (especially if you don't get rained on often). I sometimes spray silicone spray down inside my front frame tubes (where they are hollow up at the neck) to help with rust.

That's a good point on the polish. I bought a one piece billet aluminum lift from MTM. It shines like chrome, but I'm sure over time it will dull and with all the cables over it I am not going to be able to get to it that well for polish.

Anyhow you did a great job with the DIY lift. Hard to beat your combo.

After trying to find a 2" tank lift kit for my 2008 fxdc, I ended up making my own. Used some 1/8" x 3/4" flat aluminum stock, and a piece of galvanized pipe. Cut 2 pieces from the flat aluminum stock that were 2 3/4" long with holes drilled 2" apart. Cut the galvanized pipe to 3" long to use as a spacer between the gas tank mounting tabs. I needed to buy a bolt ( to go through the spacer and the tank mounting tabs) , 4 chrome washers and 2 chrome acorn nuts. I have about $11 invested. I owe firedyna thanks for giving me info about removing the tank, and encouragement. I was reluctant to tackle this mod because I's never been mechanical inclined. Here are a couple of pics.

Thanks for the post I have been lookin at puting a lift on my tank (fxd)for some time now but didnt want to spend the $30-$70 for one. So I stole your plans and got everything I needed off the job site worked great didnt cost me a penny. I do think I am gonna gloss black my brackets and get a longer cross over line mine is quite tight and dont want to be riding it when it rubs threw and fuel goes all over my hot motor.

Thanks again
Dave

.... .... .... get a longer cross over line mine is quite tight and dont want to be riding it when it rubs threw and fuel goes all over my hot motor. Thanks again Dave

Let me know how your longer line works out. I tried a longer line at first but the tank bibbs were so close to the frame that the hose still hit the corner of the frame turning the corner and then (with the longer line) it just bowed down closer to the rocker covers which I did not really feel to good about since they get quite hot sometimes. I ended up putting back on the OEM line. It doesn't really rub (since the tank and frame are bolted together) but it is against the frame.

Let me know how your longer line works out. I tried a longer line at first but the tank bibbs were so close to the frame that the hose still hit the corner of the frame turning the corner and then (with the longer line) it just bowed down closer to the rocker covers which I did not really feel to good about since they get quite hot sometimes. I ended up putting back on the OEM line. It doesn't really rub (since the tank and frame are bolted together) but it is against the frame.

I was going to try the braided cross over line. will prob order it friday and let u know what happens soon as i get it on.

Back