free website stats program Homemade quick detach bag mounts | Harley Davidson Forums

Homemade quick detach bag mounts

cdn-bigfoot

I usually ride solo and like the look of my bike with no bags and the solo seat only. I also use my bike 2-up with my wife and for solo or 2-up road trips.
The dilemna: to mount bags or not mount bags? My wife wants the security of a backrest so I forked ou the big bucks for the HD quick detach sideplates and a backrest. Now I would need to put an extended set of mounting bolts for quick detach bags added to my existing quick detach mounts. That was gonna look like monster bolts sticking out the side of my Bare Back Bob when the bags were off.
IMG_3215.jpg

IMG_3214.jpg

NO WAY! I like the look of Leather Saddle Bags on my Dyna Street Bob. So I decided to bolt my saddle bags permanently to the quick detach sideplates.
IMG_3216.jpg

Make sure you back up all the bolts with LARGE washers to keep the bolts snug and keep them from ripping through the leather. I used 1/2 inch carriage bolts.
IMG_3217.jpg

Also be sure to back up the inside of the leather bag with a solid bar for support. I used Steel.
IMG_3221.jpg

Mount the bags high enough that they don't hit the axle bolt caps, swingarm or your pipes when the bike bottoms out. But still low enough to look cool.
IMG_3220.jpg
IMG_3219.jpg

I have a fender rack that adds to this set-up for solo touring. I can also put on my 2-up seat for riding with the missus.

It's my version of the HD Convertible!
SBwetrear2shot.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Bigfoot. For now I will mount them as they came, but I will see about your details, they will come in very handy. :worthy

Back