free website stats program Homemade Engine Guard Covers | Harley Davidson Forums

Homemade Engine Guard Covers

Randall K. Wilson

For many moons I have had HD black plastic engine guard covers that I have used on my Roadking during the Indiana winters. these items are also known as "soft lowers". (I know, they sell a model called an Ultra that has those painted shin guard thingys on them).:)

In Aug. I bought an '09 Deluxe, and put the nostalgic engine guards on it. My Roadking engine guard covers will not fit on the Deluxe. To my knowledge no company offers such an item to fit on a Deluxe with my type engine guards.

Now Dad has gone on to his reward, but if he was out in the garage with me he woud say, in his usual Kentucky confidence...."son, make your own covers." I have a lot of leathercrafting tools and has done a good bit of leathercrafting, so this is the media that I am using. Got in my stash of leather and found a piece of natural vegatable tanned leather 6-8oz in thickness. After a degree of wallering around on the garage floor and fanaggling around at present I ended cutting out two pieces of leather the profile of a half moon, the verticle portion measuring 20 inches at the longest and the widest portion measuring 13 inches. I will get these peices wet and form them in a matter that they rap over the chrome engine guard to a degree, but the chrome will show on one side still. Then I will make a batch of straps with roller buckles to secure these covers to the engine guard. Having a strap about every 4-6 inches or so.

Of course the final result will be dyed black, waxed, and I may put an outline of 1/2 inch chrome dots on them, following the profile of the guards.

Now for an important matter to ponder. Although these leather panel covers that I am making now will cover the entire engine guard, will this be to much coverage? Case in point, will my lovely V-Twin 96B get enough air on it to keep it cool, while riding in weather perhaps in the 30 and 40 degree range (farhenheit).

I have my HD covers that I can copy the profile of them, but actually I would like to leave these new ones I'm making the way they are, if the engine ran cool enough.

I would appreciate any comments pertaining to my project, perhaps someone else on this site has made their own engine guard covers also.

(No, I'm NOT interestest in trading for an Ultra at the present) :)

Pictures man.......we need pictures :D Sounds like a great project, i like thinking outside the box :s

Give me a little time and I'll see what I can come up on the images.
One thing about it...these covers I'm thinking will be the only ones in captivity. I can already see the light at the end of the tunnel.

RKW - one other thing about your design...if you think it is marketable you may want to work with one of our other posters RJ who did the heat shields that were well made... if you want to go "public" as he has design know how and marketing prowess to help you...

I am with Sandmar, I need pictures. Sounds interesting but I am not sure I completly understand what you are wanting to do.

We are waiting patiently :D.............well we are waiting......not so patiently :p

Sir, I'm a retired pensioner, hence it take me a little time to get around to these things,:s

Regardless, I will do my best to serve you...."eventually".:D

In the meantime, please go back and re-read my first post with deep interest, focus, and concentration. Perhaps additional light may be shed on the subject.

Back