free website stats program Home Made Tools | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Home Made Tools

Thanks Jack. That is good stuff to have. That's what I like about this forum, someone always has an answer.:newsmile106:

I really need to get back here more than once a day, but Hoople and Jack covered my post. Yes, the manual does say that it eliminates the multiplier, but in truth it just minimizes it enough that it really doesn't matter in this case. Using the calculator that Jack posted, you can come up with a lot of scenarios where it will make a difference. Knowledge of what is happening is the key.

And yes, there is a formula.

(New effective length / original length) x torque reading = actual torque

this has been a great help, I am going to use make up a tool like that when I have to put my evo back together and get the rear cylinder rocker boxes back on, its better than buying a 20 tool I will use maybe once...thanx

Took a 1 7/8" standard socket, mounted it on the lathe, parted it near the square drive end then expanded a piece of 2" pipe, 6" long, on my tube bending machine/muffler, so the socket would just fit. then I pressed the socket end into the pipe, half the depth of the socket, and ran a bead around it. then I flipped it to the other end and set the square drive end on it and ran another bead around it. voila deep socket to use for the forward belt sprocket nut.---jack

- Sounds very similar to mine:
Tranny sprocket nut socket.jpg

This tool is obviously not hand made but I bet you've never seen one. It was in My Father-in-laws tools
BatteryTester005.jpg

BatteryTester004.jpg

Battery load tester for?????
Don't know what it was used for, Not even sure how to use it, just thought you put the prongs into the battery's cell. My Father-in-law (Reuben) was a farmer so it was not for high tech equipment.

Don't know what it was used for, Not even sure how to use it, just thought you put the prongs into the battery's cell. My Father-in-law (Reuben) was a farmer so it was not for high tech equipment.
It a vintage battery cell tester used on this kind of batteries:

WIct4O.JPG

FXD is correct. The old batteries had a tar top that you would push the prongs of the tester through the tar and contact the lead links that connected the cells together and do your test. No the batteries are using a plastic container.
Ken

In my 1976 Shovel manual they gave the formula for calculating the adapter use when torquing the heads I used a doulble box wrench and bent it to reach the rear bolts on the rear head. The first attempt wasn't quite right and I blew the head gasket. The second time I re calculated because of the bend and got it right. Can't find the wrench and my dog ate my manual.

Back