Home-Built Foward Controls

Discussion in 'Dyna Models' started by VolBeat98, Jul 31, 2011.

1. VolBeat98

VolBeat98 Member

Anyone built thier own forward controls? I'm gonna make a setup this winter and just looking for ideas. Thanks HDtalking

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  2. glider

glider Veteran Member

If you have the facilities and tools anything can be done.

Good luck.

3. VolBeat98

VolBeat98 Member

I have the resources needed. If building a setup comes close to the cost of the HD OEM kit I'll just get that. But I prefer to make my own stuff whenever possible.

4. glider

glider Veteran Member

If you care to document it as you build it, take some pics and I'll post it in the self help area.:s

5. Bodeen

Bodeen Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

A guy a ride with built his own brackets. He used two pieces of 1/2" aluminum stock and cut out triangles and welded them together and drilled holes through them to. One thing he learned that he shared with me is that the bracket on the left is different than the one on the right. Hard to explain what he did without pics but it turned out very nice.

Bodeen

6. Hoople

Hoople Account Removed

Because your making it for yourself, the labor can be looked at as "free" so you will almost always beat the cost of a finished package item. It you can score the raw aluminum at some surplus military outfit, the net results and cost can be fantastic.

7. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Do a mock up out of card board see if you like how it looks:s

8. VolBeat98

VolBeat98 Member

I can get or already have the metal no problem. I'm more interested in the lever pivot point...trying to figure out how I wanna get a bearing in there. I came up with a pretty solid plan today just gotta draw it up and talk to the machinist about making me a pair of pivot shafts once I decide on a specific bearing. I want a sealed roller style bearing with a lip on the outer race so it can be seated, roughly 1/2" ID and 5/8" OD. This is gonna be a fun one can't wait:yes

9. Jack Klarich

Drill and tap for a grease zerk so the area around the bearing stays lubed, you could hide it on the bottom side JMO:s

10. Jack Klarich

Rod Ends, Heim Joints, Sleeves - Speedway Motors, America's Oldest Speed Shop
    That will work nicely and available at any good hardware store:s