free website stats program Holy rusty fenders | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Holy rusty fenders

that dime sized rust spot was actualy around the size of a silver dollor all still under the paint unnoticable

Don't blame yourself for what happen. Paint should not just bubble off the substrate regardless of humidity or some rain. It is a flaw in the process of metal preparation or primer. Lots of "green" painting products just don't have what it takes to make a durable paint job. An epoxy primer stops rust in it's path. It takes a disc grinder to get it off and that is something these bikes could really use but do we have it?

If applied correctly, primer the size of a silver dollar should not just lift off the metal.
If you go with a re-paint to flat black and want it to last, don't just paint over what you have.
Prep the metal, apply an epoxy primer and it will last to the next world war.

If you go with a re-paint to flat black and want it to last, don't just paint over what you have.
Prep the metal, apply an epoxy primer and it will last to the next world war.

Yeah I was gonna just ruff up the existing paint and paint over but u make a good point I be better off to go ahead and at take it all the way back down to the tin and re primmer.

Yeah I was gonna just ruff up the existing paint and paint over

Absolutely do not do that. The original primer was not properly applied to the substrate. Primer must have a mechanical bond to the substrate through sanding scratches. Even just using something like PPG K34 would be 1000% better than what HD uses. If applied correctly, it will not just scrap/chip off. The ultimate is an epoxy primer and since the tins are so small, that's what I would use.

I tried my hand at painting this winter. Learned a lot, and it turned out great, but then I waxed it before it had cured properly (rooky move). It spidered, so now its at a pro-shop getting stripped a re-done right. Shoot us some pics when you get done.

Back