Hogtunes Installed

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by skcm2006, Jul 7, 2010.

1. skcm2006

skcm2006 Member

I installed the hogtune speakers - I may be slightly biased because installing them I wasn't paying attention drove one of the screws through my fairing ..:small3d023: Other than the little hole in my fair the installation was very simple.. just pay attention to what you are doing!

The sound - is a little bit better but I am not "WOW'ed" on the overall sound quality. With the IPOD attached it distorts to the point where you can't understand the words at 3/4 of the volume which is very disappointing... with the radio playing it distorts at about 85% of the volume. When I say distorts, I mean to the point it is hard to understand and sounds like the speakers are struggling... not what I had anticipated.

At less than 75% volume it is ok but not remarkable.... so it is a bit of an improvement but not sure if it was worth the $100+ investment.

Just my two cents worth

2. panhead9

panhead9 New Member

Back your I-pod volume down,and increase the volume on the bike unit....may help

3. ironmark

ironmark Junior Member

If you get a speaker upgrade you should get the AMP .

4. NZPacer

NZPacer Member

I agree on backing down the Ipod volume a little - having it at max can create distortion on anything you hook it up to.

I've put some hogtunes in my SG and was very impressed with the increase in performance.....gave a friend a demo on Saturday and he's keen to get some for his bike too....?

5. nfusion

nfusion Active Member

installed them saturday on my 09 electraglide very impressed maybe you got a bad pair

6. skcm2006

skcm2006 Member

Rode the bike to work today and that hole is still there and was hoping it was a bad dream! Nope - LOL :small3d023:

I backed down the IPOD, it seemed to help - still have distortion at 75% but not as bad as it was. One thing I did notice that was different (besides the hole) was that the sound was noticibly clearer than the OEM speakers on the volume below 50% and I could tell it was a bit louder at 50% than the OEM.

I like the speakers still but just not wow'd by them.

7. glider

glider Veteran Member

Did you contact Pez? He stands behind his product.

8. skcm2006

skcm2006 Member

Glider, Who is Pez? Also any suggestion on how to fix the hole in my fairing?

9. glider

glider Veteran Member

10. skcm2006

skcm2006 Member

Just spoke to a buddy - convinced him to bring in his bike and he has OEM speakers and we are going to do a compare - I had a guy listen to them a few minutes ago and he said it was loud - Maybe 24 years in the Navy working around the flight deck hampered my hearing a bit... Will report back with what I find...

Now any suggestions on the hole or do I leave it there as a nagging reminder to take my time for my next project...

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2010