free website stats program Hogtunes Amp, Speakers, and Tweeter Pod Install | Harley Davidson Forums

Hogtunes Amp, Speakers, and Tweeter Pod Install

Dr. Dolittle

Experienced Member
Contributor
Retired Moderators
My credit card was just itching to see some action so I ordered the Hogtunes amp and speaker package along with the new tweeter pod. Biketoberfest is only a month away after all!

Just wondering if anyone had any helpful tips or tricks for the install, aside from what's in the instructions. Anything you wish you had done differently? About how long did the job take?

Thanks!

I haven't got the twetter pod yet for my FLTR but the install of the amp and speakers is a snap. Hogtunes instructions are first rate and I couldn't be happier with the sound quality and voluum. Took longer to get the outer fairing on and off then the complete Hogtunes install.

I have the Tweeter Pod and it is a snap to install. It comes with a set of inserts used as a template for you to drill holes thru the fairing. You can't make a mistake.

You don't know me as well as you think!

:lolrolling

I have the full package from Hogtunes also, because my radio/cd player isn't as powerfull as the newer bikes Hogtunes wired my system so the lower's amp. is also running the tweeter pod. Just wondering how they wired your setup. I have my amp set at the lowest setting so I can still hear the original four speaker's which also have been changed to Hogtune speaker's. This speaker system sounds better then my house stereo and I can play it so loud my ears ring for days after. Oh yea just follow the instructions step by step and it will all happen for you. Takes awhile but is well worth the effort.

I've installed the same kit along with the lowers too. Very straight forward. Just make sure the gain and the 2ch / 4ch switches are set properly. The start up power is from the cig lighter on that kit. A two spade splitter is better than splicing the cig lighter wires too.

Care on the screw reinstall on the speakers too so you dont cross thread anything and ruin the plastic.

It's not all that hard and you will love the sound.

When installing the tweeter pod I used the sugested drill with the supplied template then I used a uni-bit to open up the holes.
the uni-bit is a single flute multy step drill and doesn't grab, much safer and less of a chance of making a mess.
Just a sugestion.
Dave

Well, I did the installation yesterday and it went pretty well. Here's a couple tips I'll pass along to anyone else coming up on this project:

1. When you drill the holes in the fairing, instructions say to start at 1/8 inch and then enlarge to 5/8. You need the bottom hole to be that big to fit the wires through but I thought that was overkill for the top hole where the screw goes through. I enlarged just enough to fit the screw through and then subsequently discovered why Hogtunes suggests you do this. It's REALLY a challenge to get both screws lined up with the receiving holes on the tweeter pod when you don't have any "wiggle room" in your fairing holes. I was really stubborn (I am a guy, after all) and got it done but if I was doing it again, I'd just enlarge both holes like the instructions say.

2. Instructions say to run the main power harness for the amp under the chrome fuel tank console but on top of the tank. This is fine but it's one more thing to have to disconnect and move out of the way if you ever want to take your fuel tank off. I removed the fuel tank and ran the amp's power harness through the plastic tunnel that all the other wiring runs through on the way to the battery. Much cleaner installation in my opinion.

3. Finally, don't panic the first time you power up to test everything. The amp takes a LOT longer to kick in than just turning on the stock radio. Also, for some reason, the very first time I turned it on, it took a good 10 seconds to come on. Some sort of self test the first time power is applied perhaps? I don't know but i was seriously bumming for a moment.

My credit card was just itching to see some action so I ordered the Hogtunes amp and speaker package along with the new tweeter pod. Biketoberfest is only a month away after all!

Now that you've had it out for a ride, what's your satisfaction level with the upgrades? You did have J&M speakers previously didn't you? :bigsmiley6:

Now that you've had it out for a ride, what's your satisfaction level with the upgrades? You did have J&M speakers previously didn't you? :bigsmiley6:

Yesterday was the first time out with the new system and I love it! Didn't get out on the highway so I never had it above 50MPH but it sounded great - much better than stock and noticeably better than the J&M speakers alone. Not sure how much of that is due to the addition of the amp or if the Hogtunes speakers are that much better, along with the tweeter pod.

Back