free website stats program Hmm . . . yellow loctite? Wow! | Harley Davidson Forums

Hmm . . . yellow loctite? Wow!

markfsanderson

I was rudely introduced into the mysteries of loctite last week. I had no idea that there are as many loctite colors as there are colors in the rainbow! I orderd and recieved a bracket that allows me to remove my rear left peg but still retain my belt guard - great! I take my trust tools and struggle to take this thing - off - wow its tough! I end up stripping part of the bolt and cussed H-D under my breath for making cheap solft bolts. I removed the entire assembly and at my local H-D dealer, while I was purchasing other rhings, showed them this issue. I could not remove the original peg bracket support from the chainguard. The offered to help, and I gladly agreed. It turns out they also had quite a bit of trouble removing this, and they squarely placed the blame on H-D for putting yellow loctite(!) on this screw. They had to drill this sucker out! It scratched up the peg on the underside a bit - but no too serious. Supposedly, yellow loctite is only used on 4 parts on the entire motorcycle. I had no idea that this stuff even existed!

Mark - Thanks!
:small3d031:

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you mean to say it's even tougher than red? I knew it came in more colors than red and blue but just don't know which ones are the strong ones and what you have to do to break them loose.

I think is between red and blue.
http://tds.loctite.com/tds5/docs/641-EN.pdf
WAP.gif

It might of been a different color - they told me yellow . . . . anything more than blue on this part seems total over-kill to me!! I felt like an idiot bringing that part in there damaged like it was . . . until the 'real mechanics' were having trouble with it! What a pain!

Mark - Thanks!

I had no idea there was so many . . . it looks like the yellow has 2nm more breakaway torque than the first red but less on 'prevail' torque . . . whatever that means!

Mark - Thanks!

Breakaway torque is the torque required to first get the item moving and prevailing torque is the torque required to keep the item moving.
WAP.gif

Loctite is a very reliable product when used correctly, Ford used Yellow on Caliper bolts, They did not want them working loose, My Streetbob had yellow on the shift linkage, The linkage is POOR at best, I removed it with simple hand tools and replaced the stock(inferior) with a clone of the Chrome one H D sells for 90.00 for less than half that price, this time I used Anti sieze with double nuts :s

Back