Highway peg mounting

Discussion in 'General Harley Davidson Topic' started by DCLARKE, Mar 14, 2011.

1. DCLARKE

DCLARKE Member

I am putting highway pegs on my road king and need your opinion. The mounts are the harley 360 degree ones ( mount on the engine guard ). The peg directions say to mount the pegs so they fold back towards the rear tire. I understand their reason for this but it just seems more practical to have them fold straight up to the tank. Safety wise it would be better to follow the directions but I feel if you hit something with a peg you are in a bad way regardless of which diretion they fold up. My previous bikes have folded straight up. Any thoughts? Thanks !

2. lorne

lorne Senior Member

on my 05 RKP they fold up. there was a thread around a little while ago that went into it more.

3. mat 60

mat 60 Senior Member

Mine fold up, thats the way I installed them.

4. geezer

geezer Senior Member Contributor

Mine fold up and back.

5. bc45

bc45 Active Member

Mine fold up and back.

6. Iceman24

Iceman24 Well-Known Member

Depends on the angle you place them...mine fold up too (like others) and I marked height w/masking tape before cinching down so get them where I wanted & level. So...put them on where they work best for your taste/comfort. Cheers!

7. Mad Dog Jim

Mad Dog Jim Banned

I guess you gotta look at what's the difference. You're right, if you lay it down at 50 MPH you probably will have to replace a few parts anyway. But what if it just tipped over on the jiffy? I guess we could get Myth Busters to try it both ways, but my guess is fold back, fold up, no difference... Seems like fold up would be the best for USE, but probably the same for CRASH

8. doc_63

doc_63 Active Member

Mine fold mostly up, slightly back.

I adjusted them 100 times until I found the sweet spot.

9. TQuentin1

TQuentin1 Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

The folding back is so that will happen if you are a bit too close to something.

TQ

10. Mattman4403

Mattman4403 Junior Member

The instructions are probably written in a way that presents the least liability. Mine fold up.