free website stats program Highway/Interstate Riding Tips | Harley Davidson Forums

Highway/Interstate Riding Tips

btharris24

Forum,
I've been riding bikes off and on for the last 25 years or so but have never really done much highway riding, mostly country roads and 2 lane highways. I recently moved to a bigger city and from time to time need to ride on the Interstate. I see bikes crusing up and down the highway all the time and the riders seem so comfortable and relaxed, me, not white knuckles or anything but the pucker factor is certainly up there. I just put a winshield on and that helps quite a bit but theres still alot of turbulence from cars and especially 18 wheelers, do you guys have any riding tips that would help me loosen up a little on the highways? I would like to take some longer trips and venture out a little more, just not real excited about being on the highways.

Thanks,
bh

It comes with miles and experience. After clocking up some saddle time, you will feel relaxed to a degree but always keep your wits about you on the highway, there's too many nut jobs out there.

I ride about 75 miles each way to work everyday and about 40 of those miles are on the interstate. When I first started I was not a big fan but the good thing about the interstate is you don't have to worry about people pulling out in front of you.

I ride about 75 miles each way to work everyday and about 40 of those miles are on the interstate. When I first started I was not a big fan but the good thing about the interstate is you don't have to worry about people pulling out in front of you.

I think I know what you meant to say - you don't have to worry about people pulling out in front of you from an intersection or a stop sign. You certainly DO still need to watch for people pulling in front of you during a lane change or making a mad dash for an exit or merging right into you because they can't see you.

Smitty, sounds like you've got a thing for trucks!:p

Seriously, I'm sure most of those pointers come from first hand experience and they are excellent recommendations!

I ride on highway daily and I'd add some of my observation, I try to stay away from trucks, I either stay way behind it with a car or two in between or way infront of it with a car or two in between and never stay along either side of the truck for more than 2 sec(time to pass). If posible, I try to stay on the far left lane if I can so I can only deal with the traffic on my right, I try to be seen on the road by looking at the mirror on the vehicles infront or of me, if I can see the driver in their mirror, they can see me (IF THEY LOOK), keep my head spinning and scanning the road far ahead of me, that would give me some time to react when needed. I also watch the traffic behind me and make sure no tailgater behind.

Thanks for the info guys, I'm taking my bike in to the dealer today for service, I'm gonna take the interstate and get some saddle time.

Thanks again,
bh

Dr. Doolittle - You are right. That is what I was talking about (intersections). On the interstate you have a little more room to more over if someone tries to run you over. No matter where you ride you always have to keep your eyes open and watch out for others.

Went for a little 30 mile interstate road trip today, after the first 5-10 miles I actually kinda liked it. Just curious, what lane do you guys usually ride in, left or right, and do you change what "track" you ride in? I found it better in the right lane most of the time, left lane of course to pass and left lane "left track" when passing a semi. I know I'm probably overthinking this but I know most of you have alot more highway miles than I do.

Thanks,
bh

Back