free website stats program Higher Speed Wobble Problems | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Higher Speed Wobble Problems

I know this sounds wierd but,how tall are your apes?I run /ran 16" apes on my Dyna. At approx 65mph the wobble set in not as bad with 2 up riding.when I put the mini apes back on it went away,this leads me to believe that it is the riding position with the apes putting my hands too far above the shoulders.Now b4 I changed them back I did a test by getting up to speed and having the wobble then taking my left hand off the grip and holding on to the dog bone riser,all the wobble went away.Hope it help Dave...

i had little wobble at 70 mph, had the tire rebalanced for around $83.00 that was tube and liner included,

i had little wobble at 70 mph, had the tire rebalanced ,

It may be a combination of more than one problem but take a look at the uploaded pictures. Balancing is not going to help this. At 70 mph a resonant caused by this could have thrown him from the bike. And the dealership said it was Ok. That's wonderful to hear.

I have a 07 wide glide with 16" apes. When I changed the rear tire for a SE180. I experianced a knee slapping wobble at 70 mph. Went back to dealer that installed it. They said with the apes being that high that was normal. I argued with them for several days. I went with the stock tire after several visits and complaining. Problem was resolved. My opinion was the tire was bad. Took it to differant dealer at next tire change. Installed the SE180 again. No wobble.... You need to check Runout on both rims. If you have access to a dial indicator that would be nice. That will tell you if your rims are running true to the axel. I also replaced the bushing for the handle bars. I went with the polystrene. It is a stiffer bushing. Got rid of the play in the bars. You shouldn't have any wobble at 70 mph or higher. I have had mine up past 110 with no wobble. After 110 with the tall apes I get wind buffetting. But that is expected. Good luck working it out.

the whole issue with the apes is inconclusive i feel. my buddy runs 18's on a super glide custom no problem! mine are only 14 rise 31 width and 71/2 pull back nothing extreme..
and when it comes to riding 2 up there is no wobble. of course i didt push the bike at all with her on it but i just wanted to see if it did still have the problem..

Not an expert by any means but just looking at the pic of that front wheel not being centered looks like a major issue. Just my .02

and when it comes to riding 2 up there is no wobble..

Which to me supports 1 important point.

It supports the theory that the rear wheel is trying to track the front, and it can't due to the fact that the thrust line of the front tire is not in line with the thrust line of the rear tire.

Even though you may not feel it at the MPH you did before, I promise you, it is still there. The added weight is only damping the wobble.

I would be careful until it was fixed.

Hoop!

Agree, Looking at the front photo, the top of the tire is closer to the shock on the right than the shock on the left. It looks like the tire is leaning within the forks.

Back