High speeds

Discussion in 'General Harley Davidson Topic' started by little_earl, Jul 25, 2009.

1. little_earl

little_earl Active Member

I went to Okalahoma City for the National Hog Rally with the local Hog group in June. We averaged 77 mph on the way over and ran 80 on the way back all in upper 90 deg temps. I was not sure how the bike would like running in temps as hot as this was but was very surprised. No problem running 500 miles at 80mph.:D

2. Dr. Dolittle

Dr. Dolittle Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

Wow, you're making a lot of assumptions! If they were riding on the interstate, they probably had to maintain those speeds just to keep up with traffic and not become a hazard themselves. He never said they rode in "close quarters" and never mentioned anyone's experience levels. As long as they had a good talk before leaving and stayed spaced out nicely, there's nothing wrong with what they did. I'm with you in that this type of riding is not exactly my "thing" but I try not to rain on someone else's parade if they enjoy doing it.

3. NEWHD74FAN

NEWHD74FAN Experienced Member Retired Moderators

Sounds like you had a good time...glad to know your Avatar was not the result of the experience (first thing I thought about when reading your post). Riding at "--the Pace" means a lot of things to a lot of riders...the key being ride about 7/10's "normal" and 8/10's for "spirited"of what you consider "10/10's" (also known as the "--the tonne..." or your personal limit of your abilitiy... :D

4. dpsimcox

dpsimcox Member

An old biker once told me that it is OK to ride fast, but never ride in a hurry.

5. Dr. Dolittle

Dr. Dolittle Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

For some reason, i was feeling very contrarian when I read your post this morning and submitted mine. I'm a bit mellower now and totally defer to your much greater experience in this area. Sounds like you've seen and/or been involved in some pretty bad deals. I agree that large groups of riders often appear to be WAY too nonchalant and take a safe ride for granted. Big mistake. I cringe when I see folks riding at highway speeds with tires overlapped, looking over at each other and laughing. Like I said, much too "cool" for my tastes.

6. STEVE07

STEVE07 Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderators

Here is my opinion on this,when I am riding in groups we ride staggered about 5 mph. above the speed limit,when I am riding two-up in a non-group situation I ride about 10 mph. above the speed limit.I feel safer running just a bit faster then traffic.When I am running solo anything goes and lots of times I crank it up just to see how far I can push it.:D

7. xlcruser

xlcruser Active Member

You sir make a lot of sense. I also have been riding for 40+ years, a lot to that time was in a group. The last 10 years or so I'm a bit of a loner. I find it's quieter and a lot more enjoyable that way. I also have been driving truck for years all over the country, and rarely have I seen a group of riders doing 80 mph, 1% clubs excluded, and to be honest rarely did I see them riding that fast either. There are a few that do, that's why I ride mostly solo these days, that and my wife tired of the(EDIT), the kids got old enough to recognize the (EDIT), and me I think I just got tired.

[note]
    A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community
    [/note]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2009
  8. little_earl

little_earl Active Member

I didn't mention that I was with the HOG group of 7 bikes. at 40 mph we have about 2 seconds between us in a staggered ride but at 75 and 80 we spaced out pretty good. The traffic was moving fast and we even got past a bunch of times. The least experienced rider has about 20 years on the bike. The only trouble we had was a van that tried to run us over while passing us.

9. SpringerSteve98

SpringerSteve98 Active Member

Ride it like you stole it.

10. dangerdan

dangerdan Junior Member

Traffic permitting, I give her all she's got, but only for short distances. Like me she got alot of milage (136k) .