free website stats program high speed wobble | Harley Davidson Forums

high speed wobble

formike56

Went to dealer on 8/09/08 Had my 5000 mile service. Replaced the rear tire after 5200 miles. Went with a 180 on the rear. Picked it up drove home about 40 miles and parked it. Yesterday drove to work was going about 75 decided to pass someone got up to about 82 then the wobble started scared the (EDITED) out of me. Took it to the dealer that did the service. They told me the front tire was bad. Was talking to the tech. about it we started looking at the tire and it was weather cracked all the way around the rim. Changed it out took it on a test ride. Nothing changed. Tightened up the tree still no change. To make a long story short it is still at the dealer they don't know what is wrong. Supposed to leave tommorow on a 2 week road trip. They are going to call HD see what they think. I'm glad it didn't throw me off... Never had that happen before on any thing I have ridden.

Last edited by a moderator:
if it only started after the rear tire was changed I would start by looking there.
Is the wheel aligned? did they balance it properly?

That was my first question when I got to the dealer yesterday. They said it was good. The service manager thinks it is somthing with the front end. Was there yesterday for over 5 hours with no solutions to the problem. Hope today is a better day

You didn't mention anything but I would think that if it was something with the front end, you would have really felt it in the handlebars. Did the handlebars vibrate, wobble or feel unstable in any way or was it more something you felt through the seat/frame? I'm no expert, just trying to throw out some ideas.

Dyna's have a rubber mounted risers. You feel a little shakeing in them all the time. This was a wobble along the frame going from side to side. I thought it was something with the rear tire they the dealer changed

Back