free website stats program High Speed Wobble | Harley Davidson Forums

High Speed Wobble

Vibratinharley

This is the first time I had my 08 Ultra out for a ride on a major highway since accident last year. I have taken it out for a few rides on coutry roads at low speeds but nothing over say 60 mph. Saturday I was out for a ride and I decided to take the highway for a change and was cruising along and the road was free and clear of traffic and I ran the bike up to around 80 mph going around a slight curve ( really minor curve)and all of a sudden the bike started fiercely wobbling like the frame was going from side to side. It practically scared me to death. I let off throttle , hoping I wasn't going to die and it went away. I fixed this problem before accident last year by installing a Alloyart Touring stabilizer and drove 4000 miles at all different speeds and roadways before accident and this condition was gone. . Now, the frame was replaced and entire front end of bike was replaced ( due to accident) and the stabilizer was reinstalled and now THIS again " with stabilizer in place"??? I can't imagine what is causing this but I have not really liked the way this bike felt since I got it back. Don't know what to do. Any ideas? ( Sorry for way too much writing)

Take it back to the dealer who installed it - that shouldn't be happening!! My husband is just having a stabilizer installed on his 08 Ultra because of the wobble thing. My 09 FLHX doesn't have that issue because of the new frame.

I would take it back to the people that fixed it and give them the problem to fix.

Thats exactly what I want to do but they are 120 miles away and the only reason it was fixed there was because I was on the way to Virginia when the accident happened and that was the closest dealer. I have been so unhappy with the bike since the accident that I actually put it up for sale but took it down as I have about $30,000 tied up in this bike and it looks awesome and had new Chrome front end installed and I just don't really want to take an over $10,000 + loss so I guess I will have to rent a trailer and take it back and leave it with them.

Tell them it's a safety hazard to ride it and let them pick it up being they did the work.

I will call them on Monday and talk to them and see what they say.

Glider,

This bike is an 08 with 9600 miles on it ( 8000 put on first 6 months I owned it) What do you think about this:
Taking the stabilizer off the bike and telling Harley to fix the wobble? what do you think they will do? The bike is under warranty and what if they can't fix it and I keep taking it back for the same thing. Could I maybe get them to give me an 09?

I will call them on Monday and talk to them and see what they say.

Glider,

This bike is an 08 with 9600 miles on it ( 8000 put on first 6 months I owned it) What do you think about this:
Taking the stabilizer off the bike and telling Harley to fix the wobble? what do you think they will do? The bike is under warranty and what if they can't fix it and I keep taking it back for the same thing. Could I maybe get them to give me an 09?

I think that's a good idea. They will blame it on anything aftermarket if they have the chance. I don't think they would give you an 09 to replace it , but you never know if you push hard enough and get to the right people.

Intermittant problems like this are very difficult to troubleshoot; and, if you have to get up to speed to duplicate the problem you could put yourself in a bad position. Personally, I'd make HD fix it.

I think pulling the aftermarket stuff off and taking the scoot back to HD is a great suggestion. Let MOCO troubleshoot it, don't put yourself in a situation where you might end up in another wrech. JMO.....

How about checking the obvious first ??

Front axle cap nuts
Tires out of round. Was tire replaced after the accident ??
Bearing wobble
Front fork alignment
Motor mounts/ stabilizer
Front tire to rear tire alignment

Back