free website stats program High speed tapping.. | Harley Davidson Forums

High speed tapping..

Mavagrand

sounds like it's coming from the top end..it's almost like a buzzing sound, doesn't sound like valves to me (but I aint' no expert!!). Here's the story. Wife and I are planning a ride to St. Augustine in the morning so while going over the bike getting it ready I noticed a vibration/rattling at around 2500rpm..it is definately speed related as it immediately goes away if I let off the gas. It sounds like a very fast tapping (like a loose heat shield) but seems to be coming from the top end which concerns me. Bike is an 08 FLHYC with 30k on the clock, always run M1 20w50. PUll the clutch in an rev it up and the noise is there, right around 2500 rpm. bike runs fine and I've done noghting to the engine/tranny. It really sounds like a buzzing to me which Im hoping it is but don't wanna ride to St Augustine if I can't figure it out. Any ideas?

FOUIND IT!! YOu guys can disregard, it was the lock on my gas cap. The nut had backed out letting the lock vibrate against the cap. LET'S RIDE!!!!!!

That's funny, I've seen a similar situation on a Elactra Glide but it was the fuel door that was rattleing, Glad you chased it down.

tHATS WHAT IT WAS hog, the lock on the fuel door, not gas cap. I mis spoke, don't have a locking gas cap. :)

Good Deal, when your bike speaks listen it will tell you something is wrong, maybe see you and Monica on Sunday:s

Good Deal, when your bike speaks listen it will tell you something is wrong, maybe see you and Monica on Sunday:s

Wise words, Jack. Everyone should "tune" into their bike and learn its "normal" noises, get in front of any issues that way. Sorry you couldn't meet us Sunday but completely understand. Hope you have a safe trip starting Wednesday..stay hydrated and take a camera. :)

Speaking of listening, I have always listened to my bike for any new sounds. A new squeak, rattle, or buzz would set me off on a search that could easily consume my weekend. When this noise popped up I asked my wife to listen and give me her opinion. I'm glad I did, Iw as visualizing valves, lifters, plugged oil passages,etc..almost in one of my patened panics. She shurgged her shoulders and said it sounded like a loose screw vibrating..that put me on the trail to finding it. Soooo, lesson for the day...LISTEN TO THE WIFE!!

Back