free website stats program High speed cornering mods | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

High speed cornering mods

Try ricor suspension products. I have the Intiminators & their shocks. Have no problems with my Wide Glide keeping up in the high speed cornering. It changed how the bike feels. Also installed the True-Track & Super Brace. It tightened everything. Now it feels like riding on a rail thru the corners.:D

I've done my share of group riding. I've seen a lot of riders grind on corners that I dont, and we are on identical bikes. I think what one of the previous posters brought up is valid, regarding rocket riders saying "when will Harley riders learn to get the weight off the bike." I call it counter balance. In a high speed corner you should be between the bike and the pavement, not on top of the bike. Im not much of an artist but heres what I mean.

Bike #1 on the left is going straight. Bike 2 and 3 are doing the same corner at the same speed but bike 2 is draging and bike 3 is not because the bike isn't at a sharp enough angle...

Another thing a lot of riders do without even knowing they are doing it...

At speed a bike doesn't turn like a car (duh). Meaning you don't try to turn the handle bars left to go left. The wheel is spinning and you use the gyroscopic force of that wheel to turn. You can either "push" the left grip to turn left or "pull" the right grip to turn left. The really good riders, like Motor Patrol guys will tell you to push into turns. The difference is what it does to your body position. Pushing left to turn left forces your body weight to go left. IE counter balancing the bike by putting your body between the bike and the pavement. MotoX riders may do it the other way, but their foot pegs are a foot off the ground and only 3 inches long. Plus they have tread on the sides of their tires. Plus they are almost coming to a stop in the middle of some of their turns. Road bikes need to keep the tread on the road and we are tryng to keep the metal off the raod, while trying to negotiate a curve and smoothly and as fast as we safely can do it.

I hope this makes sense and helps someone... I learned it the hard way.

Attachments

• Counter Balance.bmp
    86.4 KB · Views: 63
  • Pushing VS Pulling.bmp
    86.4 KB · Views: 49
Last edited by a moderator:
Bull Dog you are very accurate in your examples. That is why road racers hang off their bikes to have the largest contact patch of tire for maximum traction.

Thats what I'm talking about. Cool vid thanks.:D

Thanks I'll look into it.

I've done my share of group riding. I've seen a lot of riders grind on corners that I dont, and we are on identical bikes. I think what one of the previous posters brought up is valid, regarding rocket riders saying "when will Harley riders learn to get the weight off the bike." I call it counter balance. In a high speed corner you should be between the bike and the pavement, not on top of the bike. Im not much of an artist but heres what I mean.

Bike #1 on the left is going straight. Bike 2 and 3 are doing the same corner at the same speed but bike 2 is draging and bike 3 is not because the bike isn't at a sharp enough angle...

Another thing a lot of riders do without even knowing they are doing it...

At speed a bike doesn't turn like a car (duh). Meaning you don't try to turn the handle bars left to go left. The wheel is spinning and you use the gyroscopic force of that wheel to turn. You can either "push" the left grip to turn left or "pull" the right grip to turn left. The really good riders, like Motor Patrol guys will tell you to push into turns. The difference is what it does to your body position. Pushing left to turn left forces your body weight to go left. IE counter balancing the bike by putting your body between the bike and the pavement. MotoX riders may do it the other way, but their foot pegs are a foot off the ground and only 3 inches long. Plus they have tread on the sides of their tires. Plus they are almost coming to a stop in the middle of some of their turns. Road bikes need to keep the tread on the road and we are tryng to keep the metal off the raod, while trying to negotiate a curve and smoothly and as fast as we safely can do it.

I hope this makes sense and helps someone... I learned it the hard way.

Thanks, Good information. I am familiar with these tactics from riding sports bikes, but it felt pretty strange climbing all over a Harley like that. Did 600 miles this weekend and I'm learning do adapt my style to suit the bike. I'm getting better results with less scraping, but still keen to hear about handling mods.

this guy rides his Bob like i did but he has his jacked at the back not lowered - with what looks like nice and expensive rear shocks
YouTube - Harley Davidson Metal Damage

Yeah, my mate put some expensive aftermarket pegs on his glide. Wore them out first big ride.

this is what Nakkers is on about
Dyna Street Bob

IMG_0178.jpg

IMG_0179.jpg

this was chasing a naked sports bike back from matlock - yes he was surprised and NOTHING touched down and all my bikes sit on average 1" lower than stock - im short so they have to so i can get feet on the floor

My Back tyre.

Attachments

• Photo0108.jpg
    Photo0108.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 36
My little stick-man lesson isn't indended to to make an HD competative with a rocket, but if it helps someone negoatiate curves without grinding - cool.

HOBBIT...That was a great vid and the who is some good tunes. I think he needs to make his own foot pegs out of steel or something...We still have snow\mud but that vid makes spring not come soon enuff..Thanks

Watched the video. Makes my point perfectly. I actually believe he was TRYING to grind for the video. Watch it again and you will see that he intentionally leans out in the turns. If he just sat straight it would bring the bike up, meaning he would have to go even faster to get the pegs down onto the pavement. If he leaned in, even faster.

Back