free website stats program High Oil level | Harley Davidson Forums

High Oil level

175mws

I had a high oil level in oil pan so yesterday I removed some to bring it to the proper level, I road my bike for 1500 miles with the high level, A few things I noticed were that my temp was 257 deg during my trip on average and I had a very noticeable vibration on my feet and handle bars. After removing some oil I took a ride some street, freeway & hills with lots of curves. Well after checking the oil temp on dash and dipstick I was getting 246 deg. and vibration was improved. I'm not sure if it’s in my head but it’s what I noticed. What you guys think?

OIL M1 v2 in all 3

Kinda makes sense that if you have too much oil in the bike, the motor would have to work harder. My son "thought" his car "should" be pretty low on oil, because he didn't add any recently, so he threw in 3 qts, then wondered why it wouldn't start/run. I try to keep mine in the middle between the lines.

IMO little bit high on the oil will not hurt but it seems that a little bit low oil is better than high oil. Remember that when you do a oil change the engine will take around 3 1/4 to 3 1/2 qts , I start with 3 1/4 qts & add from there . When on the side stand the oil dip stick with cold oil should read in the center of the xxxxx area . I use Mobil V-Twin also in engine & primary the trans get Mobil 1 75-90 gear lube in the winter 75-140 gear lube in the summer , gear lube smooths out the trans some .

on my next change I too will switch too a gear oil for the trans and see if that takes out some vibs also.

Last edited:
Back