free website stats program High Mileage Harley's | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

High Mileage Harley's

45,000 on my "06" FXST/I, 88TCB, new intake gaskets at 38,000. Amsoil in all 3 holes. K&N filter and cycleshack slipons. I change the oil & filter every 6,000mi.

I hope it goes at least a 100 grand.

HD vs Metric... You may leave your home on a Metric (and be happy) but when you get to where bikers go, you will wish you were on a Harley. nuff said..................

I had a 01 Kawasaki Nomad-1500 FI and put 32K on it in 3 years,sold it with 39K. I had to put a final drive on it at 15K,Ignition switch at 30K,Instrument cluster at 38K and it started leaking oil from the valve cover cam plugs at 25K. Put silicone on them 3 times,before I sold it,because you had to drop the motor and open pandoras box up to fix.

When the EVO came out in 1984 the reliability of Harleys went out of sight. My 1988 FLHS has just over 100k. The only time the jugs were off was to fix the notorious early EVO base gasket leak. Ol Blue has only been taken home on a trailer three times: Interstate battery blew up, broken drive belt 65K, Charging system burned up. I have put in a performance cam, mufflers and an S&S carb. Runs great and I love it.
I have heard the bs about Jap over Harley for decades. How many 20 year old Jap bikes do you see on the road? How many 10 year old? You can rebuild a Harley from now on. Ever hear of a Jap bike being rebuilt? I will stick with the Harley. Of course I won't be happy until the BSA comes back. I have a '56 in the garage now. Fossil
Even if you could rebuild the metric, would you want to? There's something to be said about style. I've never seen a bad looking harley, but plenty of metrics.

My dad has been riding the same 1976 Super Glide since about 1978. It has way more than 100,000 miles on it and continues to be a champ - even pre-EVO.

Back