free website stats program High Mileage Harley's | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

High Mileage Harley's

OK, I got a long way to go.

Got it last Sat. Now 400 miles on it and going for a ride w/the wife now. Tracy

It's getting old, still comparing Apples to Oranges.
You buy what you can afford and that's that.
If you care for it and service it, and don't throw
money at mods, it will last like anything.
If it needs an overhaul, you get an overhaul.
I have owned Wings & Kings, so I am truthful
when I say, even if I needed an overhaul every 50K,
I'd still be Crowning my King.

One of the mechanics I have asked about a million questions after meeting him at one of the dealers, and we've become very close friends...Has a Ultra with 134,000 miles...he did in the beginning... do the 96 upgrade..since then normal maintenance...This year he had it repainted to match a trailer he bought...I ask him once if he thought it would get to 200,000 miles and he says it will if he keeps it..he likes the 09 changes...lol..I ask him if he had to choose one thing that have kept his bikes engine in such good shape he say..."Its the oil man..its the oil..never change it too often...but change it and always change the filter when the oil is changed" He changes it at 4500 miles...he uses Mobil V-Twin..and Royal Purple in the tranny..and HD in the primary....but says theres many good oils on the market. He thinks the synthetics oils are the best thing since sliced bread.BTW the dealership he works for knows he runs Mobil...lol..and he will only use HD filter as well. He told me once ...and I don't really understand it..of course I politely nodded I understood..something about its actually bad to change the oil too frequently..something about acid something are another...lol sorry I'm a idiot!..but never exceed 5,000 miles..never ...never ..never..yeah he made that pretty clear!..and that I did understand!!!!!

I buy my bikes based on need, not image. I do believe that yamaha makes the best engine as far as milage and repairs. My HD however, is the best in touring compared to the Honda Gold Wing or the BMW. The best bike,,,for what need is the question. My 1100 vstar does not handle at 70mph like my HD Ultra does. Nor will it handle a swerve, curve, or comfort as the HD Ultra does. My trips are often several weeks long. I need a bike that suits the need of the rider/passenger. If engine life span is the question, u can always buy a moped for 800 and ride for 4k miles on it.

I buy my bikes based on need, not image. I do believe that yamaha makes the best engine as far as milage and repairs. My HD however, is the best in touring compared to the Honda Gold Wing or the BMW. The best bike,,,for what need is the question. My 1100 vstar does not handle at 70mph like my HD Ultra does. Nor will it handle a swerve, curve, or comfort as the HD Ultra does. My trips are often several weeks long. I need a bike that suits the need of the rider/passenger. If engine life span is the question, u can always buy a moped for 800 and ride for 4k miles on it.
JL, whaaaaaa?

I have a nearly new (9000 miles) 2003 Ultra and love it. The wife likes it better than any other bike we have ridden (including the 09s)and for me that counts a lot. I don't know how many miles she will get (the bike that is) but I will ride it till til the wheels fall off and then buy a new one. The bike is fairly simple. I maintain it--it goes vroom.

spiz

I think a better question would be,how many miles before any repairs are needed.
I bought a new '01 Roadstar.At about 9000miles it needed the lifters replaced.
My '06 Road Glide needed the lifters replaced at 30000 miles.
So my point is,even the metrics have issues.

Thanks for the encouraging words. I've got a Road Glide with 94,000 miles on it, and I've been wondering what the life expectancy of these twin cams are. I did the 95 kit at about 30,000 and she's running perfectly. Anybody out there know if these engines will run forever or what?

Back