free website stats program High Idle | Harley Davidson Forums

High Idle

BibRider

I have just experienced this as well yesterday on my last 20-25 mile ride. Halfway through ride, I think I heard a either a misfire or a stumble. After coming to a stop I noticed the high idle. After a shutdown and wait of an hour still a high idle. No codes lights appeared on speedo. 2004 FXSTI. I will investigate the idle screw but if not where should I look next? VSS?

Re: 07 High Idle Issue

Idle screw was fine. Did a bit more of reading on the issue here and found old post of cleaning the IAC. Performed that task. No change. Bike is stumbling at speed. Going to check for intake leaks next. Still no codes on the diag from the speedo. Any more tips?

Re: 07 High Idle Issue

Idle screw was fine. Did a bit more of reading on the issue here and found old post of cleaning the IAC. Performed that task. No change. Bike is stumbling at speed. Going to check for intake leaks next. Still no codes on the diag from the speedo. Any more tips?

As was just posted by TQ in another thread, cleaning the IAC doesnt fix it if its bad and it may not throw a code unless it is totally gone. Check the connecter for fun.

Check back after checking for intake leaks.

Good Luck!

HD04FXST010.gif

Have a look at the throttle set screw behind the stop where the cables attach, but first check for intake leaks

i checked for intake leaks with carb spray. no change unless I shot it straight in the throttle body and it would lower the rpm. did front and rear intake ports on their cylinders. sprayed around gasket seat for the IAC. No change still high idle. Then I noticed a check engine light, FINALLY. Looked up the code for my 04 EFI. P1353 - No Combustion Front Cylinder. Pulled spark plug, felt a tad loose on both plug and wire. reinstalled both tight. Still had dielectric grease in boot.
Fired bike up. Idled up, then smoothed out to what I hear as a normal idle. Great! But threw code P0122 TP Sensor Open/Low EFI ( whats low EFI? ) Thinking that the carb spray might of caused that one when I checked for sound change with I squirted it in throttle body. Cleared it and it hasnt returned. Took it on a ride. Bike is stumbling around 2500 rpm or so. 50 mph when Im giving it throttle. Threw another code. P0108 MAP sensor failed/ High Carb ( High Carb? any ideas? ) cleared code.
Swapped both plugs today. Plugs were not awesome sooty around threads not the cream colored that they usually have been. Rode bike. Idle high for a bit. settled down after about 2 mins. Cool air temp of 70s. I think it got right after bike up to temp. Still stumbling like day before. But I noticed another check engine light on after a stumble. Light goes out just like others after 8 seconds. Same code as yesterday P0108. Got a pattern. Finally as I was checking for codes today I cycled my run/stop switch with ign on. the motor of the IAC sounded like a leather jacket when you tighten your arm at the elbow.

Sorry for the long story but maybe it will help.
Regards, Bibrider

Did you spray around the MAP sensor mounting area? Maybe check the MAP sensor connector for cleanliness and a little dielectric grease wouldn't hurt...

pulled connectors from MAP, IAC, and throttle position sensors. All looked good and were previously dielectrically greased from few years ago when I had a rear injector OPEN code. which was solved by disconnecting that sensor, greasing and reconnecting. Bike still runs badly under acceleration, stumbling and sputtering. I'm thinking it might be water in fuel tank or....well Im about out of ideas.

Back