free website stats program High idle | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

High idle

The carb cleaner will cause a sensor to set a code if you start the bike before the cleaner dried off. If you have some air , blow the intake dry with some low pressure air and let it sit a while before starting it.

My elect dianostic manual just came this week, didn't get a chance to clean the IAC port yet...3 cars went on the fritz just days apart , more serious than an idle problem.
In the elect manual it says leaking injectors could cause the idle fluxuation .
I lubed and readjusted the throttle cables and it helped, but I think a 2" longer set is in order because of the bars on it, not a lot of pull cable left,had a real hard time getting slack to put a new throttle grip on.
It drops back to idle a little better but is still at 1100- 1150, sometimes down to 1050, so when the cars are fixed, I'm gonna clean the IAC port and check for leaky injectors, boy a Scanalyzer sure would be a handy tool to have.
Any idea's how or why the injectors would start to leak?? Not saying thats the problem,just going over things that don't need a scan tool to check.

Just a thought, do you have the thumb wheel under the throttle and is it backed off enough? Seen this cause a similar problem a few times.

Also if the lubing of the cables helped, explore that as a possible cause some more too.

Yep, thought of that too. I did have it turned in when I installed the fueler so I kept backing it out until it felt loose, shoulda checked how far it was in when I had the switch housing apart, thanks glider I'll double check it.

Yep, thought of that too. I did have it turned in when I installed the fueler so I kept backing it out until it felt loose, shoulda checked how far it was in when I had the switch housing apart, thanks glider I'll double check it.

While you are checkin' stuff, you might want to pull the speed sensor and see if it is all fuzzed up. If so, tidy that up and reinstall. See if that helps.

TQ

and make sure your caable isn't slightly pinched somewhere, while running turn handle bars full left, and full right and see if idle fluctuates.

I'm gonna see if I can find a can of the bike aid, I used a spray can of white lithium grease on the throttle sleeve and tried to get some down the cable thru the straw and sprayed some WD 40 around the cable brackets to clean there and then coated it it with the lithium grease.
Speed sensor, that's on the tranny,right??thanks TQ I'll clean that up too.

The white lithium grease will be like walking through mud compared to the bike aid used under the throttle side grip.:s

Be sure to clean out all the white lithium grease before going any further even with the cables too.

Back