free website stats program High idle | Harley Davidson Forums

High idle

Caper

This has been bugging me for a while, '03 RK Stage 1, SE Breather, V&H Ovals, SEPro Race Fueler,
The idle is around 1150RPM and is a little erratic, it'll go from 1100-1250,sometimes drop back to 1050 its also slow to go back down to idle when I come to a stop,or blip the throttle, it's been acting like this since before the Stage 1, but then the idle was 1050 to 1150.
I lubed and adjusted throttle cables, throttle plate opens fully and snaps back fully shut, doesn't seem to be any intake leaks,(WD40 sprayed around the seals) no codes thrown, amount of fuel in the tank has no bearing on it either.
Any Ideas?? Thanks.
I only have a multimeter and didn't want to go on a sensor replaceing witch hunt.

This has been bugging me for a while, '03 RK Stage 1, SE Breather, V&H Ovals, SEPro Race Fueler,
The idle is around 1150RPM and is a little erratic, it'll go from 1100-1250,sometimes drop back to 1050 its also slow to go back down to idle when I come to a stop,or blip the throttle, it's been acting like this since before the Stage 1, but then the idle was 1050 to 1150.
I lubed and adjusted throttle cables, throttle plate opens fully and snaps back fully shut, doesn't seem to be any intake leaks,(WD40 sprayed around the seals) no codes thrown, amount of fuel in the tank has no bearing on it either.
Any Ideas?? Thanks.
I only have a multimeter and didn't want to go on a sensor replaceing witch hunt.

how about checking the IDLE AIR CONTROL MOTOR ASSY.. they do wear out and can get a bad spot and stick

Thanks...is there a way to check it with a multimeter, or just get a new one 'cause it will eventually wear out anyway. Can you spray a "carb " cleaner or the like in the throttle body?? because when I put the breater kit on the throttle plate had a lot of oil on it so I wiped it off and after about 1500 miles its still clean.

Thanks...is there a way to check it with a multimeter, or just get a new one 'cause it will eventually wear out anyway. Can you spray a "carb " cleaner or the like in the throttle body?? because when I put the breater kit on the throttle plate had a lot of oil on it so I wiped it off and after about 1500 miles its still clean.

they are about 50$ give or take a few $$ .. if its sticky time to repalce .. not sure about checking one with meter i never tried

Remove the fuel cap and turn on the ignition. Listen to see if it pressures up and let it sit like that for a minute to see if it re pressurizes again without running it. Possible it's a bad fuel pickup line in the tank. Also listen for a hissing noise after it pressures up indicating the leak in the line.

Simple stuff first...Checked that ...didn't re-pressurize and didn't hear any hissing, there's only about a gallon left in the tank, so I should have heard hissing if the pickup line had pinholes in it.

I googled "Harley IAC" and got a link where a guy was having erratic idle problems, opposite of mine, his would go low and then jump back up....he sprayed carb cleaner into the IAC port and a lot of black gunk came out. Then his idle smoothed out. Do you think it would be safe to try that??

I googled "Harley IAC" and got a link where a guy was having erratic idle problems, opposite of mine, his would go low and then jump back up....he sprayed carb cleaner into the IAC port and a lot of black gunk came out. Then his idle smoothed out. Do you think it would be safe to try that??

It works if the IAC port is gunked up and an '03 would have enough miles on it for this to be the problem.

Thanks dolt, I'll do that then...just was wondering if carb cleaner could do something to one of the sensors. The throttle plate had a pretty thick film of oil mist on it so I imagine the IAC port could use a cleaning.

Back