free website stats program High idle problem | Harley Davidson Forums

High idle problem

sjcea

This just started the other day on my FLHXI Street Glide 2006 . while riding and then coming to a stop I noticed the idle running high ( about 2100 rpm ) no idea why it did this ? I hitbtje throttle a few times an no change ? It stated to come back to normal after a few minutes . bike sat at work for 9 hours . when I went to go home and started it cold . the idle raced up again over 2000 for about 15 seconds then dropped ? What's causing this ? Bike has just over 20k miles . dirty IAC or perhaps a bad TPS ? Any help would be appreciated!!

Could be either...disconnect the TPS plug from behind your a/c intake, ensure it's clean, coat pins with dielectric grease and then re-connect.

Also, when turning off EFI bikes, make sure you let the motor "idle-down" to 1K before shutting off. The TPS will recall last setting and high idle conditions are know to crop-up, when you turn-off @ anything other than normal idle.

If this is not throttle by wire, try lubing your throttle cables, I had 1 cable break last year on the road, it did the same thing you describe here:s

06 model not 09

My mistake, I was running a split screen at that time, that post still bares reading tho it has good info about a high idle found in the self help section:D

I cleaned the IAC today and i would say it was pretty dirty . went ahead and cleaned the rest of the air intake as well while I was at it . fired the bike up afterwards and it was idling normal . throttle response seemed a bit more snappier than before . if this doesn't solve it I will replace the TPS as well

Back